Flashcard question

psyche825

So, I know there are a ton of flashcard questions on here, and I did my best to search them and the reference doc, but couldn't find an answer.

I use Anki flashcards for learning Spanish. When adding a card in Anki, it basically makes two cards: one for English->Spanish and one for Spanish->English. I was hoping to use Pleco in the same way. For example, I'd add a card, and it would make multiple cards (e.g. character->pinyin/definition; definition/pinyin->character; etc.)

I know that if you set "Subject Selection" to "Alternating" you can have it test reading/writing/listening, but from what I understand, instead of doing it the way Anki does it, it tests you on each card once, but the first card will be reading, the second writing, the third listening, etc.

Am I understanding this correctly? Is there a way to get Pleco to behave in this way, or should I just export to Anki?

Thank you for your time!

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
You could get this behavior in a 'weighted' test (configure that in Card Selection), which will allow cards to come up randomly multiple times with different fields. But generally we favor the approach of only studying a particular word one way during a particular test, which is best done through 'score-based' subject selection instead - that will give you, say, character->pinyin/definition the first time you see a particular card but promote it to pinyin/definition->character once you've gotten it right a few times the first way; that way you're learning each card in a sensible progression rather than randomly flicking back and forth between easier reading and harder writing.

psyche825

Ah, I see. That makes sense. Does this method review the lower subjects after they're learned? That is, once I see a card the first time (character->pinyin/definition) and get it right, will it ever review that subject again, or will it just move on to higher score subjects?