FlashCard Suggestion

I think the flashcard should have something like "Learn Words or Revise Words" above the "Begin Test Session". In the Learn Words or Revise Words, the user should be able to set the time to 20 sec or any seconds depending on the users choice, then after the time up, the the card will automatically move to another card and it will continue like these until the last words in the card. During the cards display, it will display both the definitioin, pinyin and audio at once (since the user is revising the words), or the user should decide how he/she wants them to be display.

Secondly, under "Begin Test Session", I think it would be nice if the card display options for the user to choose the correct answer. For example, if the words is "Dianying (movie)" is displayed( It would be great if they display at random or the user should decide whether to display randomly or not), there should be answer options like
A: Car
B: Bridge
C:Movie
D: Borrow

The user should pick the correct answer before the time is up( since it will have a timer). It the user choose the wrong answer it will mark it red, and then mark the correct answer green, then automatically move to the next question. In a case the user didn't choose any answer and the time is up, it should mark the correct answer green and then automatically movie to the next question. At the end of the quiz/test, the will display the total number of correct and wrong(including the ones the user didn't answer before the time is up) answers scored by the user. I believe this way will make it more entertaining and help in improving the user's learning especially when competing with a friend.

Another observation I noticed is that there is no provision that allows a user to know when he/she has already entered a card in a category before. I have been using "Hanping Dictionary" before. They have a nice feature that "stare" any words you entered in the list. The will make the user know that the words has already been entered in a category before. The user can easily see which category the word has been entered.

Thanks for the great application

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Thanks for the feedback!

princechrisvic said:
I think the flashcard should have something like "Learn Words or Revise Words" above the "Begin Test Session". In the Learn Words or Revise Words, the user should be able to set the time to 20 sec or any seconds depending on the users choice, then after the time up, the the card will automatically move to another card and it will continue like these until the last words in the card. During the cards display, it will display both the definitioin, pinyin and audio at once (since the user is revising the words), or the user should decide how he/she wants them to be display.

This is actually a very popular feature request - we're focusing on some dictionary search upgrades now but when we turn back to flashcard updates this should be one of the main ones.

princechrisvic said:
Secondly, under "Begin Test Session", I think it would be nice if the card display options for the user to choose the correct answer. For example, if the words is "Dianying (movie)" is displayed( It would be great if they display at random or the user should decide whether to display randomly or not), there should be answer options like
A: Car
B: Bridge
C:Movie
D: Borrow

The user should pick the correct answer before the time is up( since it will have a timer). It the user choose the wrong answer it will mark it red, and then mark the correct answer green, then automatically move to the next question. In a case the user didn't choose any answer and the time is up, it should mark the correct answer green and then automatically movie to the next question. At the end of the quiz/test, the will display the total number of correct and wrong(including the ones the user didn't answer before the time is up) answers scored by the user. I believe this way will make it more entertaining and help in improving the user's learning especially when competing with a friend.

Those are actually already available by setting "Test Type" to Multiple-choice, though that's only with our paid flashcard module upgrade. There isn't yet a timed component, though.

princechrisvic said:
They have a nice feature that "stare" any words you entered in the list. The will make the user know that the words has already been entered in a category before. The user can easily see which category the word has been entered.

That's already supported too, but we disable it by default for performance reasons (it can make scrolling through the list a bit slower on some devices, as I imagine it also does in that app). To enable it, go into Settings / Dictionary / Main Screen Interface and turn on "Show flash status."

Thank you for your reply. I would like to ask some question

1.) Can Pleco work on Android 4.0 ICS tablets?
2.) How can I be able to use the text reader in other documents apart from "txt files". I would like to you it on websites, doc,pdf,docx, etc. I think it is somehow waste of time to copy the file to text file before using it. It would be more efficient if it works like this software http://mdbg.loqu8.com/

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
princechrisvic said:
1.) Can Pleco work on Android 4.0 ICS tablets?

Yes, it works fine in those.

princechrisvic said:
2.) How can I be able to use the text reader in other documents apart from "txt files". I would like to you it on websites, doc,pdf,docx, etc. I think it is somehow waste of time to copy the file to text file before using it. It would be more efficient if it works like this software http://mdbg.loqu8.com/

You can use it on websites now - just "Share" or "Send" the website to Pleco and it'll pull up the text of that page and let you tap on words to look them up.

We do support doc/docx on iOS but we can't support them on Android unless Google adds a built-in Word viewer like Apple has - it's just too complicated a format for us to handle ourselves (and there's no good open-source viewer library available). PDF we're about to support on iOS, but again there's no viewer built in on Android, plus in order to support it properly we have to use OCR - far too many PDFs ship with just images and no embedded character codes, which makes them equally impossible to read with desktop apps like the one you mention.

Regarding those, there are a ton of PC dictionary apps that let you mouse over words to look them up - Kingsoft was doing that ~15 years ago - but it would be impossible for us to develop a similar app on Android or iOS because those platforms enforce much stricter application data protection: they won't let one app see what another app is doing. The specific hook that most of them use is actually designed for screen readers (for use by the blind) - on iOS and Android the screen readers are built in and there's no way for a third party to substitute their own as on Windows and Mac OS.