Flashcard testing fixed order

gato

状元
As I mentioned here,
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1513&p=10764#p10764
I like to do flashcard testing in a fixed order (instead of randomized or with the repetition spacing algorithm).

Now while the Pleco iPhone manual indicates showing flashcards in a fixed should be possible with the settings below, I tried but each time I start a flashcard session, it shows me a different word. I exit the test session right away, do not save, and start a new one, and it would show me a different word. All the words in the category are imported, so most of them show the same created time (though maybe internally they might differ by a few micrseconds). I thought maybe the "randomization" is due to having "prioritized by" as "approx created", but even after changing it to "created", it would still give me a different word. Any ideas?

Test Fields
-> Subject selection = simple

Card selection
-> System = Fixed
-> Sort by = created
-> Order = ascending

Learned Cards
-> Priorited by = created

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Hmm... what if you turn off the "Limit # of unlearned" option entirely; does that get cards to appear in a consistent order?

gato

状元
I just tried turning off the "Limit # of unlearned". The order of the flashcards shown still seem random.

The flashcards do appear in a fixed order if I change "sort by" to score. Changing it back to "created" gives a seemingly random sorting order again.

I have about 800 cards in this category: it's a list of most frequently used characters, from no. 200 to no. 1000. Almost all the cards in this category are newly imported and have score of 100.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Looking at the source code more closely, it seems like there might be an intermittent bug here that could sometimes cause the cards to still be sorted randomly instead of in order. No good workaround for it, unfortunately, but if you try exiting / restarting the session a few times (maybe going to another screen somewhere in between) that should eventually get you a session with the cards in the correct order - once the first few cards are that way you can expect the rest of the session to stay that way, it's pretty much an all-or-nothing thing.

Anyway, already fixed on this end so it should be fixed in the public release as of the 2.1.2 update (out hopefully a few weeks after the already-submitted 2.1.1).