flashcard total changing, session ending prematurely

I began today's session with 63 cards. So at the top is said I was on card 1/63, then card 2/63 and so on until I reached card 13/63. I scored the card, then it suddenly became 14/47. I scored that card, and it suddenly said 15/41. Scored that card and it became 16/24. Scored that card and it became 17/20. Scored that card and then the "Session Complete" screen popped up prompting me to "Continue, Continue w/o dates, or Stop"

This has been happening a lot, where my card total will change. Or, the "Session Complete" screen will pop up prematurely. For example, after taking a vacation from Pleco, I began a session that had a total of around 600 cards. Thinking I was in for a long day, I got to work. A few minutes later, after I had only completed around 15 cards, the "session complete" screen popped up.

I'm thinking it might be my settings, and that's why I set everything to the "Spaced Repetition" default. But it's still happening. Any suggestions?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
That's happening because the session is encountering cards that it can't actually test you on, most likely because they're missing their headword / pinyin / definition sections and those are required for the type of test you're running. If it's a "self-graded" test, enable "Allow missing parts" in "Test Settings" and that should get them to come up anyway.

The reason the count goes down during the session instead of starting out lower is that we don't want to delay the start of the session to check all of the cards. Mostly a relic of the Palm/WM days now - on an iPhone checking every card in the session would only take a fraction of a second - so we'll probably start filtering out from the get-go eventually, but for right now that's why they work that way.

Thanks for your quick reply....I have checked those settings, and "Allow missing parts" is already enabled. Is there something else that might cause this behavior?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Hmm... is this a session with audio? And have you enabled the option to only play audio when there's an exact recording available? That might be another explanation... or have you enabled the option to remap cards to a different dictionary? That's another one that might cause problems.