Flashcards: Introducing a fixed amount of new cards each day

I previously used Anki for flashcards, and switching to Pleco has been an improvement in many ways. However, one part of Anki that I miss in Pleco is the ability to introduce a set amount of new cards every day. When I review in Pleco I have no idea how many new cards are introduced -- maybe five, maybe 25 -- I don't know. In Anki, I was able to pressure myself to learn a certain amount of new facts every day, regardless of how well I performed on my reviews. In Pleco, I can seemingly only choose a maximum amount of unlearned cards to have at the same time, which means that the number of cards introduced each day depends on how well I remember the already seen ones. I also find it hard to measure progress in Pleco. If there's a set amount of new cards every day, you know exactly how much fast you're progressing.

Am I missing something here? Those byzantine menus may be hiding some option I haven't found yet, but I'm pretty sure I've scoured them from top to bottom.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Re: Flashcards: Introducing a fixed amount of new cards each

MintPastille said:
Am I missing something here? Those byzantine menus may be hiding some option I haven't found yet, but I'm pretty sure I've scoured them from top to bottom.

No option for this yet - we've had surprisingly few requests for it - but it should be introduced in the next big update on iOS, which means we're probably going to roll it into one of the next few 2.3.x releases on Android to try it out. One slightly-awkward workaround you could use in the meantime would be to, at the start of each day, "Search Cards" for cards that have never been reviewed before, tap 'Edit," select the first 5 or 25 or however many you want, tap "Batch," tap "Transform priority," choose "Force add pool," and tap "Change priority now." That will manually add those cards to your pool of new cards to review.

Hm, it is slightly awkward. I'll stick with the default system until the update rolls out. Thanks!

Yes I hope this system becomes available soon too on iPhone. I downloaded Anki onto my Android tablet. Interface is very simple & easy to follow while the Pleco flashcard system is quite complex to me. I think the learning system in Ankiis really intuitive - introduce a specified number of new cards each day and selecting when you want to view them again. The more times you get them right the longer the gap between the next time they appear. To be honest I don't have a clue how the SRS works in Pleco. Any videos on YouTube? I know there are details in the manual but it's still not clear.

Having been a Pleco user for a relatively short I'm probably just a bit ignorant of the Pleco way of applying SRS. Any good threads on how to use it?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member

pprendeville said:
Yes I hope this system becomes available soon too on iPhone. I downloaded Anki onto my Android tablet. Interface is very simple & easy to follow while the Pleco flashcard system is quite complex to me. I think the learning system in Ankiis really intuitive - introduce a specified number of new cards each day and selecting when you want to view them again. The more times you get them right the longer the gap between the next time they appear. To be honest I don't have a clue how the SRS works in Pleco. Any videos on YouTube? I know there are details in the manual but it's still not clear.

Pleco's system works pretty much the same way, we just don't have the cards-per-day thing yet. I'm a little skeptical of the idea in general, actually, because I think a lot of people aren't really diligent enough about flashcards to study them every day - we could (and probably would) only trigger the new cards the first time you actually did a test on a particular day, rather than piling up a bunch of extra cards if you miss a day, but there's still the problem that if you go a week without reviewing you're probably going to have too many cards due for review even without adding any new ones.

So it's worth adding because it's in other apps and it would be useful for some people, but I don't think it's ever likely to be a default setting - more likely we'd push something that added cards in a dynamic way based on how well you were getting through your existing set.