Flashcards

I was wondering if there is a way to enter the flashcard entries on my computer USING TRADITIONAL CHARACTERS, then load it to the memory card on my device instead of inputting the entries on the handheld device. This would save me a TON of time. If so, how do I do it?

I can do it with simplified, but it would be faster for me if I could type traditional instead.

Thanks to anyone who can help me!

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
You should be able to do it with either character set - Pleco matches them up with the correct dictionary entries regardless. If you want those headwords to be specifically flagged as traditional-character by the importer, you can get that by enclosing each headword in square [ ] brackets.

I tried using the brackets, but it still didn't work. I forgot to write back about it, but recently had the problem again and decided to try it again. I tried all of the different encoding methods and none of them worked. What should I do?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
How exactly do they not work? Do they refuse to even start importing or are the resulting cards garbled / mixed-up somehow?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Hmm... that definitely sounds like a text encoding issue, then. The flashcard import screen should give you a preview of the file you're about to import before it starts importing - try every text encoding option and see if any of them get that preview to come up with the correct characters instead of a bunch of garbled symbols.