German

grabolus

举人
Hi,

Now that Handedict is available, I think I can start this thread to discuss the German topic a bit。

1。First I have the question, if there is a way to input german “Umlaute”。When I press the “Alt” key on my Treo, I only get an info screen but can not input special characters。 It would be great if this could be supported later。 It is possible to copy special characters from handedict an use them as input, but this is not so easy。。。

2。I found that there are a few display issues in handedict, for example the entry for “reisepass” shows “&amp”。

3。It would also be useful to have the transformed database “dehandict” available。。。 With this the need for the german input would be less important。。。

Thank you very much for adding handedict。It will be usefull to many german people。

Bye

daniel123

榜眼
grabolus said:
Hi,

Now that Handedict is available, I think I can start this thread to discuss the German topic a bit。

1。First I have the question, if there is a way to input german “Umlaute”。When I press the “Alt” key on my Treo, I only get an info screen but can not input special characters。

Bye

Sorry I do not understand your problem. The input method belongs to the device not to Pleco. I never had problems to input german special characters neither on Palm nor on WM. Maybe you can tell me in more detail what your problem is. Do you have Palm OS or WM?

Daniel

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Sorry I didn't notice this post earlier.

On #1, the Treo Alt key unfortunately doesn't work correctly with our text input fields yet, so there's not an easy way to enter umlauts. But you can actually enter regular 'u's and those will be matched with umlauts too (it can't highlight the matching words in the dictionary entry yet, but it brings up the right results at least).

On #2, it looks like the XML special characters in the data file weren't converted correctly - this should be easy to fix in the next update.

On #3, we actually aren't sure how we'd go about generating DeHanDict; there doesn't seem to be any support for it built into the HanDeDict database, and since nobody here speaks German we're hesitant to try writing our own program for it.