Handrwriting Recognition unresponsive

woofdine

Hi there, just hoping you guys can help me out on a bit of a problem I'm having.

I finally got plecodict installed on my O2 XDA Orbit after my previous Treo 650 died. It's installed and works fine, but when I try to use the handwriting input, it's very unresponsive. When I try to input a character it misses some strokes unless i do it very slow and very hard. I know it's not an issue with the touch screen, as when I use the "Notes" program, I can draw characters quickly and clearly. Also when I make some strokes, the line created starts and ends in the correct place, but doesn't follow the actual pen stroke I made. So I'm thinking it's trying to apply some stroke smoothing or something.

Hope that's clear enough, looking forward to your replies.

Woofy

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Hmm... this sounds like a problem mostly common on newer HTC phones (O2 XDAs are rebranded HTC devices), where a feature they added to let you scroll the screen with a finger attempts to take over / interpret-as-scroll-movements the strokes you draw in the handwriting input box. But the Orbit came out before they introduced that feature, so that's odd... is your phone running any kind of custom / hacked firmware? Where did you buy it? Are you sure that the stylus issue involves pressure rather than time - if you hold down the stylus for a second or so at the beginning of each stroke (so touch the screen at the start point of the stroke, wait, then draw the rest of the stroke), does that get it to work smoothly?

woofdine

You were dead on the money, I'm running a new ROM with the scroll feature. As soon as I turned the feature off it was back to normal. Brilliant! Thanks a lot for getting back so quick, now I can get on with revision for my exams!

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
No problem! Interesting to know that it's possible to run TouchFlo on those, I'll have to keep this in mind in case anyone else reports similar problems on a pre-Touch-series HTC phone - lots of people end up running custom firmware without even realizing it because it was installed by the dealer / previous owner.