How do I use 'Full Text Search'

simple

秀才
Hello

I'm having difficulty using the full text search. I can use it fine when I search for an English word but when I search for a chinese character I just get results from headwords. I am wondering whether I'm doing something wrong or whether I misunderstand its usage.

I am running a fresh install of version 2.1.1 with the built in dictionary, the Tuttle dictionary and both ABC dictionaries on a 8GB Ipod touch with iOS 3.1.3 that has been jailbroken.

Thank you for the great software!

-S

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Are you using it by tapping on the "Full" button, or just by cycling between dictionaries? By default, cycling between dictionaries only invokes a full-text search for English-to-Chinese; you can turn it on for Chinese-to-English searches too via Settings / Dictionary / Search Types / Full-text / Integrate in C-E searches.

Also, at the moment full-text searches in Chinese only work for 2+ character searches, not for single characters - combination of performance / disk space concerns and of the fact that most common characters show up in so many entries as to render the results from them effectively useless, though it's certainly something we'd consider changing in a future release.

simple

秀才
Hello

Sorry for my late reply. All works perfectly. Stupidly I had only tried it with single characters. Thank you.