How to hide english translations/definitions? (Only using 汉字/pinyin)

acbd1

Hello, thank you for your incredible app. Is there a way of hiding the english definitions of characters when (when using the OCR, flash cards and even dictionary - as as odd as that may seem). So that I can look up a word, add it to flashcard categories without the english definition popping up? (and is it also possible hide pinyin?) Thank you for your time and trouble.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Kind of, though it's a bit awkward - you'd have to go into Settings, hide Pinyin altogether (Settings / Language + Text / Pronunciation System -> None), and then in Manage Dictionaries disable every dictionary for Reader/OCR except for a dictionary that's not in English (e.g. the free French or German one, or the Chinese-Chinese MoEDict or Cross-Straits).

Once you've finished creating your cards, you can go into Organize / Edit / Batch and remap them to the dictionary of your choice.

acbd1

Thank you ever so much for your prompt response Mike. I'll give it a go! My teacher is encouraging me to use Chinese only to learn and memorise new words, rather than translating them straight away. However, I still want to be able to make a note of new words when they come up and add them to flashcards, hence why I'm trying to do this. Thanks again and all the best.

acbd1

Me again Mike, I had a go and it seems to work as you said. I couldn't find how to add the German dictionary however... would you be able to let me know... thank you so much.

緩緩

@mikelove I tried to remove pinyin from all flashcards, but then it makes it so the audio doesn't work. Is there a way to hide pinyin without removing it so the audio can still play properly? or some other fix?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
You can certainly select a value for 'show' that doesn't include it, but if you'd like to hide it from the card even when it's revealed, unfortunately there's not a good way to do that in our current app; best bet would probably be to go into Settings and temporarily set the Mandarin pronunciation system to 'none.'

緩緩

Okay, thank you for your quick response. Going into test settings and selecting reveal parts separately basically solved my issue, thank you!