How to make the best use of Flashcard system in Pleco

JM1

秀才
I hit that level around HSK3.5 where word frequency drops off and I don't know how to retain new vocabulary I encounter. So I'm hoping Pleco's Flashcard system is the answer. Unlike Anki, flash cards can be added in one step as I read or my teacher gives me vocabulary lists from our stories.

I'm looking for some advice in the best way to use Pleco Flash card SRS system for retaining new vocabulary when combined with reading and a private teacher in which we do CI based storytelling.

My initial thought it to use it to quiz character recognition (card front) to pronunciation and meaning (card back). and over time, it will better enable reading because character retention at HSK4+ is too infrequent to happen automatically.

Any advice?

Shun

状元
Just one point: Do you also practice writing of Chinese characters? Training your ability to recall and write Hanzi will enable you to tell them apart far more easily when reading.

If you wish to try SRS, here's a set of instructions (among others on the forums):

Shun

JM1

秀才
I originally started memorizing how to write each character using one of the mnunomic systems. My theory was that [at least in english] FMRI research suggests that the act of reading also lights up the parts of the brain involved in writing words suggesting that the knowledge of writing is somehow connected to vocabulary recall.

However, I've ditched writing characters because it didn't seem to make a difference. And so no, Not working on memorizing writing.