How to select simplified characters for Entry Display

drupp526

Hey! I've been using Pleco for about two years now on my iPhone and really like it. Somehow, I have toggled the entry display to where the traditional headword displays in the primary position and the simplified characters are in the brackets. Previously, the headword was reversed.

Could you help me either revert it back to the previous setting where the simplified characters are shown first? OR Could you help me figure out how to have only the simplified characters displayed system wide?

I figured out how to change them in the Flashcards, but can't get it to change when I'm looking entries up in the dictionaries.

So far what I've tried is this:
Under "Entry Display", "System-Wide", "Headword mode" when I choose "One Set Only" it does not give me the option to choose which set, it defaults to the traditional.

Thanks SO MUCH for your help!

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Tap on the second button from the left in the toolbar at the bottom of the main dictionary search screen to toggle between simplified/traditional.

(sorry for the confusion - this probably makes much more sense as a settings option rather than a toolbar button and we're planning to remove it from the toolbar in our next big update)

drupp526

That was a huge help! Thanks for the quick response! Your software has been a very solid tool for learning Chinese.

Daniel

johnh113

榜眼
mikelove said:
Tap on the second button from the left in the toolbar at the bottom of the main dictionary search screen to toggle between simplified/traditional.

(sorry for the confusion - this probably makes much more sense as a settings option rather than a toolbar button and we're planning to remove it from the toolbar in our next big update)

Dear Mike,

Just reminding you that there are some of us that love having it as a toolbar button. I have lots of Taiwanese friends. So I frequently need to switch to traditional to show them the character. While many mainland Chinese recognize traditional characters, the inverse is not true. Most Taiwanese do not recognize simplified characters and it is necessary to show them the traditional character. Having to use a settings option to quickly show them a traditional character would be much, much less convenient.

John

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
johnh113 said:
Just reminding you that there are some of us that love having it as a toolbar button. I have lots of Taiwanese friends. So I frequently need to switch to traditional to show them the character. While many mainland Chinese recognize traditional characters, the inverse is not true. Most Taiwanese do not recognize simplified characters and it is necessary to show them the traditional character. Having to use a settings option to quickly show them a traditional character would be much, much less convenient.

We're not getting rid of it altogether, but it's not going to be there by default anymore - you'll have to go into settings to add it. (possibly at the expense of another button) It just causes too much confusion - people have a much easier time finding it as a setting than as a toolbar button, and if it is in the toolbar and they don't know about it then they inevitably end up hitting it by accident; our single most common interface tech support question at the moment is "help, I somehow managed to get the software into traditional character mode and now I can't get it back."

scykei

榜眼
Oh, while you're at it, give us the option to remove the "search" button that appears on the top bar when you tap a word for the pop-up definition. Occasionally, I accidentally touch that button and I get redirected to the search, losing the layers of definitions I was going through, if that makes any sense. There is no easy way to get back to where I was since viewing entries this way isn't recorded in the history.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
scykei said:
Oh, while you're at it, give us the option to remove the "search" button that appears on the top bar when you tap a word for the pop-up definition. Occasionally, I accidentally touch that button and I get redirected to the search, losing the layers of definitions I was going through, if that makes any sense. There is no easy way to get back to where I was since viewing entries this way isn't recorded in the history.

Oh yes, that's actually generated a ton of complaints on Android too (where it can be even more disruptive) so it's definitely going to be optional.

Kind of a related question:

I've been having with getting simplified to display in the flashcards, I have settings set to only display simplified but still all the flashcards are coming out in traditional. Any idea what to do?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
ACardiganAndAFrown said:
I've been having with getting simplified to display in the flashcards, I have settings set to only display simplified but still all the flashcards are coming out in traditional. Any idea what to do?

Check your Display settings, it may be that you previously configured that to override and always display cards in traditional.

If that's not it, these may be custom cards that only include traditional characters - try remapping them to dictionary entries.