HTC Flyer Pen Input

robinson

Hi, I was thinking about buying a HTC flyer and was wondering if anybody else is using Pleco with this tablet. Especially the pen input sounds interesting to me when using Pleco. Also I would like to know if OCR feature works smoothly with this tablet.
Thanks in advance…

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
robinson said:
Hi, I was thinking about buying a HTC flyer and was wondering if anybody else is using Pleco with this tablet. Especially the pen input sounds interesting to me when using Pleco. Also I would like to know if OCR feature works smoothly with this tablet.

We had one in here briefly - OCR seems to work pretty well if you don't mind having to aim a big heavy tablet at what you're trying to read, but we don't currently support their proprietary stylus input system, and aren't planning to support it unless the Flyer becomes a best-seller.

Just wanted to share my experience with this tablet after upgrading to HoneyComb. If you don't already know, this update makes the pen usable for all interactions that would have required a finger before.
Yes that means you can use the stylus to write in characters!
You can pick one up for $200 at cowboom, if you are in the US. That is where I got mine. It doesn't come with a stylus. Styli can be picked up on amazon for around $30.
http://www.cowboom.com/product/1099909

This makes it the best choice for Pleco use, in my opinion, at least until the samsung 7 tab with stylus support comes out.

There are some issues with GPS performance after upgrading to Honeycomb, but you can fix that by rooting while on gingerbread, and then installing leedroids, or one of the other custom ROMs that have the fix in them, as well as other cool goodies. These can be found on xda-developers forums.

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but I don't want to add to clutter, when there was already a thread about the flyer.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
thefriendlygeek said:
Just wanted to share my experience with this tablet after upgrading to HoneyComb. If you don't already know, this update makes the pen usable for all interactions that would have required a finger before.
Yes that means you can use the stylus to write in characters!

Interesting - thanks for the update. I'd be astonished if Google doesn't add an official pen input API in Android 5.0 "Tarte tatin" (dessert names are a much richer territory to mine than Apple's soon-to-be-exhausted cat names - they can keep this going until the end of the century at least), so hopefully before too long we'll be able to support all of these pens officially in Pleco.