HTC HD Mini - ok? (capacitive screen)

I just wonder if Pleco will work well on the HTC HD Mini. With the pen operate HTC Diamond it's fine. But to operate on that screen size with fingers would be impossible.

I have a few quest for you HTC HD Mini (or other capacitive screen on WM6.5) users:

How can you manage you write characters in the tiny box?
Does it work with a full QWERTY keyboard considering normal westerns size fingers?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Not very well according to http://www.plecoforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2248 - a capacitive stylus might help somewhat, but if you're going for a capacitive-screen WM device you'd probably be better off with the HD2 which is a bit more finger-friendly at least. (though the only really capacitive-friendly version of Pleco is on iPhone) Another advantage of the HD2 is that there seems to be a pretty robust effort to get Android working on it, so you've got a post-WM upgrade path - you might not be able to run Pleco on that (but then again you might - who knows), but you'd at least have something to do with your $600 worth of hardware if WM really does fade away completely.

Hi Mike, HD2 is too big and expensive. Then I rather wait for the iPhone 4 which should come out some time in July in Hong Kong.

Just a question for writing characters in Pleco, you write them into the small box or can you use the whole screen?

....I may then go for the Touch 2, about the same size but still pen operated (or I fix my Diamond).

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
You can use the whole screen width on iPhone, and most of the screen width on Windows Mobile actually as of the latest couple of versions.

mikelove said:
You can use the whole screen width on iPhone, and most of the screen width on Windows Mobile actually as of the latest couple of versions.

You mean Pleco versions or WM versions? I have the latest Pleco on WM6.1 and "think" I need to use the small box....

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
flameproof said:
You mean Pleco versions or WM versions? I have the latest Pleco on WM6.1 and "think" I need to use the small box....

Pleco versions - with the keyboard hidden, the handwriting box on the separate input screen should expand to take up most of the screen width.

ge2rt

mikelove said:
Pleco versions - with the keyboard hidden, the handwriting box on the separate input screen should expand to take up most of the screen width.
It's about 2/3rds of the screen width. The HD2's screen is about 5.5cm wide, 3.5 of which can be used to finger-input hanzi (with the onscreen KB hidden). With the KB visible the input reduces to 2.5cm; inputting then is still doable for simple characters - complicated characters is not really possible.

When inputting characters via the Pleco main screen, you have almost the full height of screen available (and full width when you hide the word list), making things easier.

I own a HD2 and the inputting works quite okay (I use it mostly with hidden KB), although not as accurate as on my HTC Diamond with stylus. Luckily the recognition is pretty good.

Regarding the HD Mini, I have seen it's quite a bit smaller than the HD2, both size and resolution-wise although I have no idea if the touch-resolution is also smaller... No so good for big fingers I'd imagine...