I really need full text search. Can I edit free dicts?

fischer

秀才
Hello,

is there any way to use the full text search in costume dictionaries :?: I really need this option for my own created entries.

It seems like the full text search does not work in user dictionaries but in the free dictionaries like Handedict.
Is there a possibility to modify/edit the free dictionaries in a way to import the own entries :?:

Or does anybody know an other way :?:

Thank you very much :wink: ,
J.Fischer

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
We're planning to add full-text search to user dictionaries as soon as we drop support for Palm OS - right now doing it would mean using a newer / incompatible version of SQLite that doesn't work on Palm, but once we switch to that version it'll be extremely easy for us to add full-text search support.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
There's a small chance we might be able to work it into an earlier update, actually, it would just be a WM-only feature; we're investigating this.

fischer

秀才
Thank you for your fast reply!

Does anyone know if there is any way to edit free dicts, or does pleco offer an early beta version that I could try?

Sincerely yours,
Fischer

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
There's no way to do that, unfortunately. However, with some clever manipulation in a text editor you might be able to build an "English-Chinese" dictionary that listed the Chinese headword for each term listed in a definition (which you'd otherwise be looking for via a full-text search).

fischer

秀才
I tried that before, but I did not found a software to view and edit the exported txt documents in a proper way, it seems to miss the <definitions> when I try to open it with the (windows 7) editior. I will try it with dreamweaver when installed or do you know a better software?

Thank for your help!
Fischer

fischer

秀才
ok ultraedit can open the txt files. I could change the txt files and Pleco accepted them, but I can only find them if I start with the first character, I can not find characters in the middle or at the end ... however thank you for your help! And anyhow a great dict :) thank you for your work!

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Try adding a $ before the character, that should find it anywhere in the headword. (or at least anywhere in the first few characters of it)

fischer

秀才
Hi,

thanks you for your help! The search function worked very well with the $ symbol. Unfortunately I have now an other problem. The last 3 Days I build up my own Dict. But then suddenly my Dict has errors, I do not know why but all my Inputs with more than maybe 6 Characters in the <simp> fields are away. All I have done was set up a new Dict and I wanted to export the Dict as backup. Any Idea why that happend? :roll:

Thank you for your help!!

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
So your dictionary entries with > 6 character headwords are missing, or you just can't search for them anymore? Could you email me (mikelove@pleco.com) your user dictionary database file? (should be in your handheld's "My Documents" folder - make sure to exit Pleco completely with the Quit command in the Dict menu before you copy / send it)