Import Flashcards from Mnemosyne

Hello,

I'm trying to import cards created on Mnemosyne (running on my MacBook) to Pleco 2.0 (running with Palm OS on a Tungsten e2). I export the cards from Mnemosyne as an xml file, then transfer that file to my Palm's SD card. In Pleco's "import flashcards" screen I can see the xml file ... I click on it and then hit "start"... Pleco then tells me I am done... but then it appears that there are no flashcards available in pleco. What am I missing?

In Mnemosyne, my Q field for each card has chinese characters; the A field has pinyin and english. I'm not too worried about having the pinyin and english separated -- but this may be necessary in Pleco, I'm not sure. Maybe this is the problem?

Another question: I'm guessing that it's not possible to have the "learning data" (ie, how well I've done with each card) imported into plecodict -- is that right?

Thanks much!

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
XML should really be thought of more as a wrapper than as an actual file format - there's no set / standard way to describe something like a flashcard list in XML, so our flashcard importer can only deal with XML flashcard lists that are specifically designed to work in Pleco. So Pleco's opening up that XML file, finding that it doesn't contain flashcards in a Pleco-compatible format, and exiting without actually importing anything.

Mnemosyne's XML format doesn't specify which part of each card is the headword / pinyin / definition, it just provides "questions" and "answers," so it would be tough to come up with a reliable way to import that into Pleco - your best bet would probably be to extract its contents to a text file and import that, wouldn't include the learning data but you'd get the basic card list at least.