import from PlecoBackup.pqb results in "missing dictionary"

liai

Hi Everyone,
I just got Pleco and was excited when a friend from class said he would give me all the flashcards he had created. He gave me a file called "PlecoBackups.pqb" and since I just got my iPad (and had no new flashcards on it) I just restored his backup to my iPad. All of the thousands of flashcards he created are there, sorted and organized, but the problem is the definitions on about 90% of them are missing. It says "dictionary or entry that this card links to appears to be missing or unavailable".
The thing is - when I click on the arrow to the right of the word, it takes me to a screen where the definition DOES appear, and if I hit the bar at the bottom that says "Change dictionary/entry", and then on the following screen hit "set new entry" - it DOES update the flashcard.
However, this is a pain to go through each one and have to to do this.
Any suggestions on how I can get the whole database to "set new entries", so all the thousands of flashcards my friend gave me will be updated with correct dictionary links?

Thanks so much for your help!

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Re: import from PlecoBackup.pqb results in "missing dictiona

liai said:
Hi Everyone,
I just got Pleco and was excited when a friend from class said he would give me all the flashcards he had created. He gave me a file called "PlecoBackups.pqb" and since I just got my iPad (and had no new flashcards on it) I just restored his backup to my iPad. All of the thousands of flashcards he created are there, sorted and organized, but the problem is the definitions on about 90% of them are missing. It says "dictionary or entry that this card links to appears to be missing or unavailable".
The thing is - when I click on the arrow to the right of the word, it takes me to a screen where the definition DOES appear, and if I hit the bar at the bottom that says "Change dictionary/entry", and then on the following screen hit "set new entry" - it DOES update the flashcard.
However, this is a pain to go through each one and have to to do this.
Any suggestions on how I can get the whole database to "set new entries", so all the thousands of flashcards my friend gave me will be updated with correct dictionary links?

First off, have you downloaded the free CC-CEDICT and Adso add-ons from the Pleco "Add-ons" tab? If not, do so - that might fill in a lot of the missing entries.

If many entries are still missing dictionary entries, you can switch them all over to dictionaries that you do have via the magical "Remap" command; go into "Search Cards," search for "incomplete," tap on the "Edit" button at the top right corner of the screen, tap "Batch" at the bottom of the screen, choose your favorite Chinese-English dictionary in "Remap to dictionary" and tap "Remap now." After that, go back to Search Cards, run that search again, and do the same batch command with a different C-E dictionary to try to cover some of the remaining missing entries.

Alternatively, if the dictionary you don't have that your friend does have is the ABC dictionary, ask him to export his flashcards to an XML file and include definitions in the file; that way, the definitions will come through when you reimport the file, which they won't do with the database backup. That's not possible with some of our other licensed dictionaries, but it is possible with ABC.