Import phrase cards with definitions from txt file

szegedin

Hi, can someone help on this -- if there is a way...

I have a list of phrases with definitions I want to import as flashcards. Here's an example:
你明白了吗?
Do you understand?​
I am trying to figure out how to import these as flashcards. I don't want to type or copy/paste the definitions. I have them all in a list, but when I import as shown above, they come in as separate cards. Pleco doesn't recognize any of the phrases from its dictionary(s). How should I separate the Chinese phrase from the English definition in the text file, in order to import them in a single card?

Any help greatly appreciated.

szegedin

EDIT: Figured it out. Needs two tabs between Chinese and definition:
你明白了吗? Do you understand?​
That was a PITA to figure out, but it's a great app.

Attachments

• chitogether.txt
    1.5 KB · Views: 763
  • chito2.txt
    2.4 KB · Views: 656
Last edited:
I have found some flashcard sentence files on this forum but they are often simplified characters with only some of them being traditional characters. I live in Taiwan and we only use traditional. Are these flashcards in this text file traditional or simplified?

pdwalker

状元
They look simplified to me.

Pleco can fill in the traditional headwords while importing - however you may want to check the phrases with someone from Taiwan to see if they even make sense to a native Taiwanese Mandarin speaking speaker.

oopz

That was a PITA to figure out, but it's a great app.
I agree. I took me a google search to find this forum entry, instead of finding the information in the manual, where it should be (the manual is not clear at all about this). To the Pleco developers: how about adding the grammar definition to the manual using some formal language (e.g. BNF)?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Not really worth the effort at this point since in 4.0 you'll be able to customize which column goes to which field. (there's also an auto-detection feature - even figures out simplified/traditional, pinyin/jyutping, etc; currently only used in our Anki database importer but we'll probably employ it in text files too)