Importing/restoring flashcards coverts to custom

Minilena

I tried searching for an answer in the forums and your support page but couldn't find anything on it, I'm sorry if I've missed an obvious answer!

When using the export or backup flashcard functions between my phone and tablet (via gDrive) everything goes from being dict-based to custom. The chosen entries are still in the card descriptions but it gets a bit messy since it's all in plain text without line breaks etc.

Is there a fix for this? I've got several hundred cards and not much time until classes start again, and I'd rather not have to manually go through them all changing them back ^^"

Devices: Fairphone 1U running Android 4.2.2
Acer A200 running Android 4.0.3
Edit: Both running Pleco 3.2.23 with only the stroke order addon, nothing else purchased

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Are you doing a 'backup' or an 'export'? If you've configured export to include dictionary definitions then it will export those and on the import side they'll be interpreted as custom definitions - to work around that, either do a backup database / restore database (which will move everything over with perfect fidelity) or do your export with the option to include dictionary definitions turned off.

Minilena

Both, an export a couple of weeks ago and a recovery today. When investigating further today it turned out the mistake was on my side in the end - all the folders I checked happened to be from the export (where they were made into custom cards), which I thought I'd fixed before doing the backup/recovery...

Still, thank you for the fast answer and good explanations! I wish there were this good apps for all languages I've learnt or plan on learning - you guys are the best :)

Minilena

So after fixing the broken cards I tried restoring a backup again and for some reason the same folders as before mess up, both in terms of cards turning custom and also cards being shuffled around in their folder (noticed that had happened after my latest post). Not all ~15 folders mess up, only the top handful. When exporting only those I somehow eventually succeeded to get the definitions transferring properly, but the order still gets changed. The change is always to a specific order - single characters on top and >1 character words below, but the longest ones aren't at the bottom. The strange order is the same no matter if I import cards or restore database.

Any idea what that keeps happening? What bugs me the most is that doing a complete restore doesn't seem to work as it's supposed to :/

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Sorry, was this one a backup or an export? The folder order shouldn't change when you backup and restore the database - only reason I can think of why it would is if you're restoring in an older version of Pleco that didn't support configurable sort orders for folders. The behavior you're describing really sounds more like what would happen with XML, though.

Minilena

Both backup and export, sorry if that wasn't clear. My devices both run the latest version but are on Android 4, I don't know if that might be causing trouble.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
So just to be clear, you do a Backup Database on one device and a Restore Database on the other and the newly restored database has a different order than the one on the first device? Could you possibly email me (mikelove at pleco) a copy of the backup file and a description of how the order is changing?

Minilena

Sorry I haven't answerd, classes started and things got hectic.
I did a new backup/restore yesterday and it worked flawlessly! I have no idea what had changed but I'm glad it works now :)