iPhone migration dictionary recommendations

I haven't seen this covered elsewhere. I'm about to migrate from Palm OS to iPod Touch. Up to now I've relied on the Oxford dictionary for nearly everything. I have the paper version too and it's been pretty good for me on the Palm. But now I have to install new dictionaries and I can't work out which would be best. What are other users' recommendations and why?

BTW I can't imagine trying to learn Chinese without Pleco. It's unspeakably brilliant.

Thanks

mark

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Thanks! Though the prospect of Oxford eventually showing up on iPhone isn't entirely dead yet...

The closest parallels size- and depth-wise might actually be the free PLC dictionary and the cheap NWP English-Chinese, but the ABC has newer / more compact definitions (and a lot more entries). ABC also makes particular effort to cover all of the entries from Oxford, so you're unlikely to find any word in Oxford that's not in ABC. Really it's more about your own personal learning level / preferences, though - if you're still a beginner you might be happy with the Tuttle Learner's, but if you've started reading real Chinese texts / newspapers / etc a larger dictionary would probably be better.

Thanks, Mike. Never one for half measures I've taken the plunge with the ABC dictionaries, and taken advantage of educational discount while I'm at it. Thanks for that too.

Keep up the good work.

mark