Is the new Pleco OCR coming to Windows Mobile as well?

Or is the WinMo version no longer going to include the full product, essentially?

Don't see any reason why it wouldn't work on my Tilt 2 -- a 3 megapixel camera is way better than the decent Japanese OCR I was using on my $30 crap AU/KDDI phone when I lived there in 2006.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Televangelist said:
Or is the WinMo version no longer going to include the full product, essentially?

Don't see any reason why it wouldn't work on my Tilt 2 -- a 3 megapixel camera is way better than the decent Japanese OCR I was using on my $30 crap AU/KDDI phone when I lived there in 2006.

It won't be coming to WM, unfortunately. It's not that it's technically unfeasible, it's just that the licensing / development costs would be too high given the size of the WM market now; we'd never make back the money we'd spend bringing OCR to WM.

But yes, we basically have given up on trying to achieve feature parity between our WM and iPhone software - we'll continue releasing minor WM updates to carry over changes to our cross-platform engine code (there haven't really been any big ones since WM 2.0.4 / iPhone 2.1, though there are some more improvements in the works for iPhone 2.3 that should hopefully make it over), at least for now, but it's likely there'll be a lot more Pleco improvements over the next year that are only available on iPhone.

Microsoft effectively pronounced WM's death sentence when they dropped backwards compatibility in Windows Phone 7, so while we continue to try to do what we can for our existing WM-using customers, the future of Pleco clearly lies on other platforms.

mfcb

状元
then what about the year long awaited full text search in user dicts? since feature parity is no topic anymore, you let WM down even before you let Palm down?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
mfcb said:
then what about the year long awaited full text search in user dicts? since feature parity is no topic anymore, you let WM down even before you let Palm down?

No, that's one of those cross-platform engine improvements I mentioned - it hasn't come to iPhone yet either, but once it does it should also show up on WM.

Thanks for following up -- I totally understand your business imperatives here.

Sounds like I'm going to be waiting for the Android version with OCR, then: OCR is a killer app, but no matter what cool stuff comes out for the iPhone, Apple's lack of openness is a total non-starter.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Televangelist said:
Sounds like I'm going to be waiting for the Android version with OCR, then: OCR is a killer app, but no matter what cool stuff comes out for the iPhone, Apple's lack of openness is a total non-starter.

Understood - Apple fan though I am, I'll certainly sleep better at night knowing that it's no longer possible for a word from Steve Jobs to put Pleco out of business :)