Looking up flashcard compounds in dictionary

thph2006

进士
Hi,

New Pleco user. I'm finding myself often wanting to explore dictionary entries for the compound words on my flashcards as I test myself. The only way I've found so far to accomplish this is by touching one of the characters on the card to bring up the detail view, then clicking on the compounds tab, then scrolling through the dictionary list to find the compound from the flashcard, selecting the compound and clicking the popup word button. Is there a way to go directly from the flashcard to the dictionary entry for the whole compound word? (btw, The flashcards I've created so far have their own definitions rather than using pleco dictionary definitions. Don't know if that makes a difference.)

Thanks, tom

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Sure - highlight the word, tap-and-hold your stylus on it, and select "Popup Defn" from the menu that comes up. (you can also assign this to another action, like highlighting the word and tapping on it, through the "Stylus Actions" panel in Preferences)

thph2006

进士
Wow, that's fantastic. I didn't even know you could program those actions. I tried the assignment you suggested and it's perfect! Thanks!

gato

状元
Sure - highlight the word, tap-and-hold your stylus on it, and select "Popup Defn" from the menu that comes up.
I think "Pop Defn" should be made the default action whenever text is selected. A lot of people probably don't know that it can be set in the "Stylus Actions" preference section.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
We could pop up a menu in those cases, maybe, but I don't like just popping up the definition without any options - people would quickly start complaining about the fact that when they tried to highlight text to copy it this darned window came up.