Lost handwriting recognition function

ruzhan

Mike,

I have PlecoDict on my Palm T/X. It was working great for a couple of years until two days ago. Now when I try to use the handwriting recognition function, I get this message:

"Cannot locate the handwriting recognition data files. Please make sure you've installed all the necessary files and that you've installed them to RAM and NOT to a flash memory card."

The files were not installed to a flash memory card, and as I said everything was working until two ago. How do I get the handwriting recognition function to work again?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
This is a common problem, unfortunately, caused by a bug in the TX's operating system that can sometimes cause files to be marked as "busy" and hence inaccessible until the files are reloaded.

The easiest way to work around this is to delete and then reinstall the two handwriting recognizer data files; to do this, download and install the free utility FileZ, run it, tap on the View and Edit Files button, tap on the triangle next to Internal, scroll through the list of items and select "PlecoDict HWR Database" and "PlecoDict Hanwang Library," and use the Delete menu command to delete them. Then, download the manual-install version of Pleco from the download page, install the two files inside of the "Handwriting Recognizer" folder to your Palm and you should be all set.

I had a similar problem with my H1940. No handwriting reco and the the whole Pleco went back to DEMO mode.

That was a memory problem and I had too many programs open. Most programs don't close when you cancel them. They stay in the RAM memory. After deleting them from RAM all was back to normal. The link is: Settings > System > Memory > Running Programs

You can close all with no harm.

ruzhan

Mike, thanks for the helpful and quick reply. I followed your instructions and I'm back in business with handwriting recognition. Muchisimas xiexie!