Merged Multi Feedback?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Can anybody using the "merged multi-dict search" feature chime in about how it's been working lately? The switch to toneless multi-syllable Pinyin matching from the last update should (hopefully) mean fewer mistaken mismatches, but has it? And is it working well in other areas? We're trying to decide when we should stop making it "experimental" and turn it on by default.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Alexis said:
How do we enable it?

Settings / Dictionary / Search Settings / Result Display / Merged multi-dict search. (we should probably be doing more to draw attention to it, actually - it's been there quite a while)

Alexis

状元
Very nice! I really like this feature and I am keeping it "on".

The "Show Dicts in results" doesn't seem to do much. I was expecting an icon to the left of the definition (or similar) that matches the icon "switch dictionary" button.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Alexis said:
Very nice! I really like this feature and I am keeping it "on".

Thanks! Spent quite a large portion of last summer working on it, but after that, we were in too much of a rush to get the non-beta version out to finish refining it to a point where we'd be able to have it on by default in our initial release.

Alexis said:
The "Show Dicts in results" doesn't seem to do much. I was expecting an icon to the left of the definition (or similar) that matches the icon "switch dictionary" button.

It actually should be adding a little icon for the dictionary to the left of the definition - is it not doing that? Make sure that you're actually in merged search mode (dictionary switch icon should turn from an abbreviation to a book).

Alexis

状元
mikelove said:
It actually should be adding a little icon for the dictionary to the left of the definition - is it not doing that? Make sure that you're actually in merged search mode (dictionary switch icon should turn from an abbreviation to a book).

The icon showed up when I changed the "List Layout" back to the default of "Head/Pron/Defn" and "Maximum # of lines" to 4.

However when I use "Head Pron Defn" then the icon does not show up (I also set "Maximum # of Lines" to 1).

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Alexis said:
The icon showed up when I changed the "List Layout" back to the default of "Head/Pron/Defn" and "Maximum # of lines" to 4.

However when I use "Head Pron Defn" then the icon does not show up (I also set "Maximum # of Lines" to 1).

Hmm... was the definition actually visible there, or was it pushed off the screen by the characters + Pinyin? We were thinking that it was better to put the icon before the definition, since the headword/Pinyin are going to be the same in every one of the entries merged under that list item, but perhaps we should put it to the left of the characters instead in this case.

Alexis

状元
mikelove said:
Hmm... was the definition actually visible there, or was it pushed off the screen by the characters + Pinyin?

With the settings I use, the definition shows up for 1 or 2 character words. Usually enough to get the gist of things (except for some Tuttle entries where the first line is "noun"/"adj"/etc with a newline after).

mikelove said:
We were thinking that it was better to put the icon before the definition, since the headword/Pinyin are going to be the same in every one of the entries merged under that list item, but perhaps we should put it to the left of the characters instead in this case.

Even if the icon stayed beside the definition, I think it would be fine. Don't really mind where it ended up as long as it appeared.

For now I'll use "Head Pron / Defn" with Maximum Lines set to 2 so that the icon shows up.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Alexis said:
With the settings I use, the definition shows up for 1 or 2 character words. Usually enough to get the gist of things (except for some Tuttle entries where the first line is "noun"/"adj"/etc with a newline after).

The newlines should actually be getting stripped out in the entry list, so that sounds like a bug.

Alexis said:
Even if the icon stayed beside the definition, I think it would be fine. Don't really mind where it ended up as long as it appeared.

OK, should be easy to get that part working at least - thanks!

Alexis

状元
mikelove said:
Alexis said:

The newlines should actually be getting stripped out in the entry list, so that sounds like a bug.

Excellent. In that case, please check out "hao4" with Tuttle as the main dictionary. One of the definitions stops at "noun".

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Alexis said:
Excellent. In that case, please check out "hao4" with Tuttle as the main dictionary. One of the definitions stops at "noun".

Yep, definitely seeing that - thanks.