Move from WM6 > iPod > iPhone questions....

I am a bit confused about the moving between systems issue and hope it can be explained.

I got Pleco for WM now on my HD2

iPhone 4 (contract free) is sold out in Hong Kong and I have no interest to get one from the phone companies in combination with a rip-off contract. So I want to wait till it becomes available again.

Since I have no idea how long I have to wait I want to buy an iPod Touch in the meantime.

That raises a couple of question.

Firstly, are the Pleco functions between latest iPod Touch and iPhone are the same?
Can I transfer the (bought) Pleco stuff to the iPhone once I get one (free?)?
Now I got the dictionaries NWM (EN>CN) and ABC (CN>EN) - will I get the same on the iPod?
Is OCR available for the (latest) iPod? (if not I may rethink the whole plan))
Do I need to buy flashcard extra? (incl. in WM Pleco)

Note, I will need Pleco only on one device and would dump the iPod once I get an iPhone.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
flameproof said:
Firstly, are the Pleco functions between latest iPod Touch and iPhone are the same?

Except for OCR, yes. Though the latest iPod has half as much RAM as the iPhone (256 versus 512 MB), so in theory it might have a harder time running some extremely memory-intensive future update than the iPhone. Though since the iPhone 4 is to date the only iDevice with that much RAM (even the iPad only has 256), it'll likely be quite a while before we even think about adding a feature that requires it.

flameproof said:
Can I transfer the (bought) Pleco stuff to the iPhone once I get one (free?)?

Yes, anything paid on the iPod can be transferred over to the iPhone for free.

flameproof said:
Now I got the dictionaries NWM (EN>CN) and ABC (CN>EN) - will I get the same on the iPod?

Yes, assuming you transfer over your license from Windows Mobile - the only things that you can't transfer from WM are the Oxford dictionary (not available in our iOS software) and stroke order diagrams (must be re-purchased on iOS).

flameproof said:
Is OCR available for the (latest) iPod? (if not I may rethink the whole plan))

Not officially, though you might be able to get it working with an external lens. A few people have tried it even without one and reported success, but it doesn't work for everyone, so I wouldn't buy an iPod with the expectation that you'll be able to get usable OCR functionality out of it.

flameproof said:
Do I need to buy flashcard extra? (incl. in WM Pleco)

Not if you're transferring over your license from WM, no - it's transferrable just like ABC/NWP.

Mike, thanks, that looks then positive for the iPod Touch.

One open question, if I get an iPhone later (and hopefully not too much later) can I transfer everything, including the paid stuff (OCR), to the iPhone free?

I plan to have only one device with Pleco and would probably sell the iPod then. Having iPhone and iPod doesn't really make sense.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
flameproof said:
One open question, if I get an iPhone later (and hopefully not too much later) can I transfer everything, including the paid stuff (OCR), to the iPhone free?

Yes - any purchases you originally made on your iPod or successfully transferred to it from WM can be subsequently moved to your iPhone.