Moving PLECO from one PDA to another

billybot

Hi I am a new naive PDA user and I am wondering if it is fairly simple to move the program from one PDA to another (same owner). I am in a situation where I have a PDA however I am contemplating selling it and buying a different one at some point. Would I need to have both PDA's present to make the switch (that is would I be able to sell the original and later buy a new one and put that software on it)

BiLL

lmcjipo

榜眼
billybot said:
Hi I am a new naive PDA user and I am wondering if it is fairly simple to move the program from one PDA to another (same owner). I am in a situation where I have a PDA however I am contemplating selling it and buying a different one at some point. Would I need to have both PDA's present to make the switch (that is would I be able to sell the original and later buy a new one and put that software on it)

BiLL

I asked a similar question when I sold my old Treo 600 and replaced it with a Treo 650.

The answer to your question can be found here: viewtopic.php?t=552

In regards to your question, you don't need to have both PDA's present in order to make the switch however, it does help in case you make a mistake (during the upgrade process) or in case you run into problems. Once you perform a hard reset on your old PDA and sell it, it is obviously too late.

This goes without saying but both your old PDA and your new PDA must be running the same OS platform. By this, I mean both PDAs must be running PalmOS or both PDAs must be running the Windows OS (whatever it is called for the PDA platform). You can't perform this switch if your PDAs are running different OS platforms.

If your PDAs are running different OS platforms, you must purchase/do a license transfer. Information about that can be found in this thread: viewtopic.php?t=623

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Just to provide an "official" confirmation: yes, you can indeed move your software over to a new PDA without purchasing another copy as long as you stick with the same PDA platform. On Palm, you simply set up your new Palm with the same "HotSync Username" as your old one (which is very easy to do, and easy to fix if you make a mistake) and your software "keyfile" will continue to work; on Pocket PC, you can log on to the My Orders page on our website and instantly request / receive a new keyfile when you get your new Pocket PC.[/url]

Pleco on 2 Palm PDAs

Would like to clarify a point ....

I have just switched to a Treo 650 but am also holding on to a Tungsten T in case I'm not comfortable and might revert to Tungsten.

Both have the same Hotsync ID. Will it be possible to install Pleco on both PDAs on a single license or must separate licenses be purchased.

Thanks !

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
I'm afraid you need to purchase two licenses for that - the license agreement only permits to use a given copy of PlecoDict on a single PDA at a time. However, you can certainly move it between the two, just delete it on one and install it on the other, so if you want to load PlecoDict on your Treo for a while you can do that as long as you delete it from the Tungsten first. (and if you end up getting rid of the Treo you can delete it on that and put it back on the Tungsten)