Moving user defined flashcard definitions to new phone - Having issues

Hi, I feel like I had a similar problem a few years ago and solved it, but this time I seem to only be able to half solve it. I have backed up and moved all my flashcards to my new device. However I noticed that my flashcards with my own definitions and example sentences were missing definitions. I then exported the user database text file from my old phone and imported it into my new phone.

The definitions now appear in the dictionary but when I look at my flashcards it still shows "The dictionary or entry this card links to appears to be missing or unavailable." this can be seen in the first screenshot.

When I click into change dictionary entry and select my own definition I get a message saying duplicate card and I need to make a new card or delete. If I click new card it fails, just creating a new card that is missing or unavailable. If I click delete and then create a new card with my own definition it creates a new card in uncategorised and i then have to move it back to my category. This would take me forever and isn't really an option!

What am I doing wrong? I've done this successfully before so I know it's possible, but I just can't figure it out this time

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240527_221905_Pleco.jpg
    Screenshot_20240527_221905_Pleco.jpg
    586.9 KB · Views: 56
  • Screenshot_20240527_221917_Pleco.jpg
    Screenshot_20240527_221917_Pleco.jpg
    335.9 KB · Views: 56
You can actually see the definition of 承受 is my own one, that I somehow successfully backed up a few years ago (2 phones ago) and has actually moved over this time without any problems. Just the ones from my last phone aren't moving over smoothly

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Check the "Add-ons" screen, and make sure you've downloaded all of the dictionaries under 'purchased but not downloaded' and any dictionaries under "Dictionaries / All Free" that you downloaded previously.

Also, with your user dictionary, go into Settings / Manage Dictionaries on the old device, tap on the dictionary, and tap Backup Database. Share that file with your new device, go into Settings / Manage Dictionaries, tap "Add New," Load Existing, and load that file. That should ensure that the links to user dictionary entries are preserved.

Thank you! I did the second one but it failed as it said I might already have the same dictionary installed. I then deleted the user-C-E dictionary that was already on the new phone and reinstalled it like you said and now it's working!

I also wanna say thanks, I don't know if it's the same person using the account but I've noticed you have been helping people with our questions consistently for years and years now. You were the person who helped me with the first issue I had years ago - great customer service!

Check the "Add-ons" screen, and make sure you've downloaded all of the dictionaries under 'purchased but not downloaded' and any dictionaries under "Dictionaries / All Free" that you downloaded previously.

Also, with your user dictionary, go into Settings / Manage Dictionaries on the old device, tap on the dictionary, and tap Backup Database. Share that file with your new device, go into Settings / Manage Dictionaries, tap "Add New," Load Existing, and load that file. That should ensure that the links to user dictionary entries are preserved.