Multiple-Dictionary Flashcards?

BanMai

秀才
Is there any way you guys can implement a feature where definitions from multiple dictionaries are shown on each card? I think it would be very useful for advanced learners who want to see the Chinese and English definitions.

For example:
爱情
ai4qing2
PLC: Love love love...
Guifan : 对他人的某种感情
French:amour

For now, I just create a custom card an copy and paste the definitions in one card, but it takes such a long time...

Something like what mikelove posted here but for flashcards.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
To be honest, I'm not sure if this is practical for flashcards because it's so much data to sift through - the more you have to read, the harder it is to memorize. This is also why we hide example sentences on flashcards by default.

So I tend to think that if you want that much information you're better off getting it through an extra button tap or two, which we are planning to support, probably in our next iOS update - there'd be a button you can tap on to view every dictionary's definition for a word (the standard Pleco definition screen) and then buttons on that screen to select a different entry to use in the card.

If anything, we'd like to make it easier to put *less* data on a flashcard by adding an option to limit it to particular sub-definitions, so that you can get rid of any archaic meanings you're not interested in; however, that will require quite a bit of work, since we'll need to both come up with a system to consistently tag sub-definitions between revisions of a dictionary and come up with a way to manage this for duplicate cards (how do we determine whether or not two cards based on different dictionaries overlap, or do we perhaps call it a duplicate regardless but add an easy interface to modify the portions of a card you to display later on if you want to add in another meaning or concentrate on a different one?)