new device: pleco SLOW

benzhen

进士
i'm so shocked but pleco is acting really slow on my new sprint samsung intrepid. its got a 533 mhz processor so its not the power issue. for example: in the reader when i click on a character it delays for a long time (compared to other winmo devices that were instant) before the definition comes up. also when i scroll left and right, sometimes the definition doesn't show up at all. some words will come up, some won't. also, scrolling through the dictionary list is pretty laggy. ANY IDEAS? i'm so perplexed, because on every device i've tried pleco as been super snappy. thanks!!!!

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Hmm, not sure what might be going on there... it's got a low-res, small screen, so font rendering performance shouldn't be an issue. Here's a question - if you hide the Entry List and then scroll through entries with the up / down hardware buttons, does that go nice and quickly? Perhaps there's some sort of an issue with screen refresh... does it take a really long time to open up separate dialogs like the handwriting screen / preferences?

Could also be a storage device issue, I suppose - where are Pleco's data files stored, on a microSD card? How big is the card? The Intrepid looks like it might have enough internal storage at least for the font files / dictionary databases, so one thing you could try (if you haven't already) is to uninstall Pleco, then reinstall just the "Pleco Engine," "Font Files," possibly UniHan / Stroke Order, and a couple of important dictionaries into internal memory - does that make things any faster?

benzhen

进士
i found that the reader has a problem when the definition is only large enough to show one line of text. if i drag it up so that it shows two lines it at least shows all the definitions. its still a lot slower though. i'll try to reinstall some of the files on the device and see if that helps. thanks

benzhen

进士
no worries mike. took the phone back and got a pre! WAY faster on classic and webos is great. no more winmo for me. actually at this point i have used pleco on every platform possible. i was thinking of writing up my experience for users. what do you think?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Ah, well that's one solution I guess. Though I'd love to know why that was running so slowly... it'd be interesting to read that comparison, certainly, particularly with the iPhone factoring in too.

benzhen

进士
hahah actually i'm back to winmo (sprint treo pro=MUCH faster). the pre and classic especially is just not ready for prime time. i'll be writing my experience from my treo 650 up till today and post it in the hardware forum when i get the chance (kinda came full circle no?).

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Interesting... but yeah, full-circle I guess. Though I'd imagine there might be a veering-off once we add flashcards on iPhone...