New Feature Feedback?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
There are some really exciting new features in Beta 3 that we haven't had much feedback on yet; has anybody used these?

• Merged multi-dictionary search - this is seriously the biggest improvement we've made to our search engine in 5 years. Turn it on in Settings / Dictionary / Search settings / Result display, then switch to it just like any other Chinese dictionary (icon will be an -M-); type in a search and you'll see a collated, frequency-sorted list of matching results from all dictionaries, then tap on any one and tap on the dictionary switch icon to flip between them. A better interface is coming soon, but the basic functionality is there now and we think it's pretty awesome.
  • Clipboard monitor - we had a lot of requests for this function which we first heard about from the Fora dictionary app (though we've turned up examples in a few others as well). Turn it on in Settings / General, then copy a piece of Chinese text to the clipboard in a different app and Pleco should come right up with that text in its search box.
  • Quick Input Bar - our response to complaints about HWR being too difficult to get into; enable it through Settings / Dictionary / Main screen interface.
  • Custom Font Files - put your favorite Chinese .TTF in /Android/data/com.pleco.chinesesystem/files/fonts/chinese and restart Pleco and it'll use that to render Chinese characters almost everywhere.
  • Document reader / bookmarks - not quite as big a deal as the others since we already support it on iOS, but has anybody used this? Does the bookmark system seem to mostly work correctly or are there a lot of glitches?

There are lots of others, of course - see http://www.plecoforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=2812 for a complete list - but we're really eager for feedback on these five.

sfrrr

状元
Multi-search: I think it works fine on my samsung galaxy s2 (unrooted), but I can't be sure because the dictionary source is not appended to each result. More to come.

Sandra

sfrrr

状元
Bookmarks: work just as I would expect, excerpt I'd like to see a small marker on three text att the position of each saved bookmarked place.

Sandra
Samsung Galaxy S2 unrooted

sfrrr

状元
Quick input bar: use it all the time. Feels natural to have it there, as if it's always been there.

sfrrr

状元
Custom font files: haven't been able to test this yet because I can't find my fonts and I refuse to pay for them again.

sandra
Samsung Galaxy s2

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
sfrrr said:
Multi-search: I think it works fine on my samsung galaxy s2 (unrooted), but I can't be sure because the dictionary source is not appended to each result. More to come.

Great! It's not appended yet, but if you tap on an entry you'll see that the dictionary switch button now behaves a bit differently - it'll be grayed out if the result was only from one dictionary but will flip between dictionaries with that entry if it found them in more than one. Though probably the easiest way to quickly tell that you're seeing merged entries is to search for something very common and then scroll through and see if a few Chinese-only results from Guifan are mixed in with the English results from other dictionaries.

sfrrr said:
Bookmarks: work just as I would expect, excerpt I'd like to see a small marker on three text att the position of each saved bookmarked place.

Good suggestion, thanks!

sfrrr said:
Quick input bar: use it all the time. Feels natural to have it there, as if it's always been there.

Great! We're leaning towards making it the default, actually, since we're not really doing anything else with the bottom of the screen at the moment and we've had quite a few requests on both Android and iOS for a faster way to get into one's desired input method. It also eliminates the ergonomic concern of not having the clear button be flush with the side of the screen; since the QIB buttons also highlight the text in the input field (thus deleting it on your next input), you hardly ever need to use that button anymore.

sfrrr said:
Custom font files: haven't been able to test this yet because I can't find my fonts and I refuse to pay for them again.

C:\Windows\Fonts should have a bunch of them.

kiraven

举人
  • Merged multi-dictionary search
    I am using it as my default dictionary. I would like to have a small indicator for each entry’s origin in the list. As the quality of the dictionaries differs, it would enable me to assess the entry’s accuracy before selecting it.
  • Custom Font Files:
    I am using it and like it, but still haven’t found the ideal font. Each has it’s own advantages and disadvantages, like being beautiful but displaying some characters wrong :)

neilperks

进士
Hi Mike,

Wasn't sure whether to put in this or the bug thread.

Been trying most of the new features and all seemed ok till I tried the clipboard monitor and Pleco seemed to get into a mess.

From what I remember what i did was:

I was in Hanping and tried something simple to test "你". I then copied to the clipboard, and i was expecting Pleco to open, but nothing happened; so I opened Pleco and pasted it into the input bar (the dictionary was set to multisearch) but it only came up with one answer which I thought strange. I tapped on this answer and it took me to a page for "你" as it should, but within a second it reverted back to the multisearch input screen. No matter how many times i did this it would always go ok, but immediately revert to input screen.

Back in the input screen (still set to multisearch) I tried typing other text into the input bar and multisearch found many alternatives ok, but tapping on any answer would act as above quickly reverting to the input screen. From there things seemed to go downhill :), the keyboard started popping up and down on its own; when i pressed the "Home" key on the phone it took me back to the operating system but within a second it reverted back to the input screen in Pleco. The only way to get out of Pleco was to press the back key about 6 or 7 times. Eventually I got an FC. After this i tried restarting Pleco which it did, but still exhibited the same symptoms above even if I didn't use the clipboard monitor.

In the end I cleared all data from Pleco and restarted, reregistered and now everything seems ok (but I haven't used the Clipboard Monitor again....yet; I'll need to get home before i try again as i can't afford to have it not working today).

Using an LG Optimus 2x with MCR; had no problems whatsoever previously so maybe just a "non repeatable" glitch.

Cheers

Neil

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
kiraven said:
  • Merged multi-dictionary search
    I am using it as my default dictionary. I would like to have a small indicator for each entry’s origin in the list. As the quality of the dictionaries differs, it would enable me to assess the entry’s accuracy before selecting it.

• Thanks, we probably should add something like that. Though a particular entry might be found in several different dictionaries so we need to find a way to list more than one (maybe something like "ABC, PLC and 6 others...")
  • Custom Font Files:
    I am using it and like it, but still haven’t found the ideal font. Each has it’s own advantages and disadvantages, like being beautiful but displaying some characters wrong :)
[/quote]

Heh, always an issue with Chinese fonts - if you want to go really crazy you could try remixing a couple of fonts for private use with a font editor like FontForge, the Unihan standard groups them by radical so you might be able to do it in groups rather than one-by-one.

neilperks said:
I then copied to the clipboard, and i was expecting Pleco to open, but nothing happened; so I opened Pleco and pasted it into the input bar (the dictionary was set to multisearch) but it only came up with one answer which I thought strange. I tapped on this answer and it took me to a page for "你" as it should, but within a second it reverted back to the multisearch input screen. No matter how many times i did this it would always go ok, but immediately revert to input screen.

Back in the input screen (still set to multisearch) I tried typing other text into the input bar and multisearch found many alternatives ok, but tapping on any answer would act as above quickly reverting to the input screen. From there things seemed to go downhill , the keyboard started popping up and down on its own; when i pressed the "Home" key on the phone it took me back to the operating system but within a second it reverted back to the input screen in Pleco. The only way to get out of Pleco was to press the back key about 6 or 7 times. Eventually I got an FC. After this i tried restarting Pleco which it did, but still exhibited the same symptoms above even if I didn't use the clipboard monitor.

In the end I cleared all data from Pleco and restarted, reregistered and now everything seems ok (but I haven't used the Clipboard Monitor again....yet; I'll need to get home before i try again as i can't afford to have it not working today).

Yikes... did it put up a little alert about the clipboard monitor each time it popped up again? When you disabled it in Settings, did you exit back out of the settings screen? Sounds like the system that's supposed to disable Clipboard Monitor when you're inside of Pleco isn't working correctly... thanks for the feedback, we'll keep at it and hopefully get it to work more smoothly for the next beta.

neilperks

进士
Hi Mike,

Tried it again last night. I followed exactly what I did the previous time, with almost exactly the same results (the exceptions were (1) it actually went to Pleco when I copied from Hanping to the clipboard with "你" in the input bar and (2) no FC, but maybe I gave up earlier this time). Apart from that it exhibited exactly the same symptoms (limited results with multi search, always reverting to the input screen after less than a second, the keyboard sliding in and out, not being able to exit Pleco without pressing back so many times) I managed to get out of it this time without a data wipe by pulling the battery and rebooting. So for now I will disable the clipboard monitor.

I did try and get a catlog, but I can't get back to it once it starts acting up, it's like the rest of Android is attached to the input screen with a spring !!!

To answer your questions, no message or alert about clipboard monitor. Not sure what you mean by disabled in settings ?

I will say though, the display would make a great live wallpaper, ha, ha :D

Cheers

Neil

Merged multi-dictionary search: Maybe I'm missing something (I only have CC and PLC), but I experience no actual benefit from this feature. Regardless of what dictionary's selected, when I'm in an entry I could already check the other dictionaries by tapping on the dictionary switch. I don't see what the new feature is merging. I would think that "merge" means that the hit list would show hits from all dictionaries. I do see the hit list is different when "M" is chosen, but there's no apparent advantage to the different hit list. You still have to enter one of the hits, then manually cycle between dictionaries to see the other entries. Maybe give a more literal description of what this feature does?

Quick Input Bar: Once again, I'm experiencing no actual benefit, so again I think I'm missing something. The only context in which I see the added buttons is at the "top" of the app. For example, to go into OCR, you normally have to touch settings, then "OCR." So having an "OCR" button available for quick input is supposed to save me one touch? What's the big deal that makes it worth devoting screen space to the quick input bar? Perhaps if I used "Rad" and "Vox" I'd appreciate this new feature more, but it seems to be a weak version of a true shortcut to the top of Pleco. What I really want is a shortcut to the top of the app from any context. For example, if I'm several levels deep in checking out a word's components, but I want to enter a new keyword, it's really annoying to have to hit the "back" button multiple times. You would think that a quick input bar would appear in this context, but I only seem to see the quick input bar when I'm already near the top. It only ever seems to save one touch.

sfrrr

状元
Jimmy The Saint: maybe if you had more than 2 dictionaries, you'd understand how convenient multi-search is. I've made it my default dictionary.

sfrrr said:
Jimmy The Saint: maybe if you had more than 2 dictionaries, you'd understand how convenient multi-search is. I've made it my default dictionary.

Yes, I saw from your above posts and mikelove's announcement that people consider it useful. That's why I asked for further explanation. If someone could explain what I'm not understanding, that would be helpful.

Supaiku

举人
Document reader / bookmarks -

First, I would like to say this is a big selling point, as there is no other app that has this feature. (I often use wenlin on Windows).
- Is there some way to open documents with it? There doesn't seem to be any open a document button - is it just a clipboard reader?
- The "Choose a dictionary" Setting (long press on current dictionary) has a bug wherein the screen presents with no words (though the buttons for dictionaries do work).
- Can multi-dictionary search be added to this feature? - and an OPTION for a scrollable search window? (maybe it wouldn't be as good as it sounds?)
-What is bookmarks?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
neilperks said:
To answer your questions, no message or alert about clipboard monitor. Not sure what you mean by disabled in settings ?

Sorry for the slow reply.

By "disabled in settings" I meant turning the option for it off - I think I may have misinterpreted your message a bit. Anyway, we're seeing some of these symptoms here too now so hopefully we'll be able to get it working more smoothly for the next beta.

JimmyTheSaint said:
Merged multi-dictionary search: Maybe I'm missing something (I only have CC and PLC), but I experience no actual benefit from this feature. Regardless of what dictionary's selected, when I'm in an entry I could already check the other dictionaries by tapping on the dictionary switch. I don't see what the new feature is merging. I would think that "merge" means that the hit list would show hits from all dictionaries. I do see the hit list is different when "M" is chosen, but there's no apparent advantage to the different hit list. You still have to enter one of the hits, then manually cycle between dictionaries to see the other entries. Maybe give a more literal description of what this feature does?

The primary advantage is that for searches that tend to turn up a lot of results (toneless Pinyin, e.g.), you can see all of the matching words rather than just those from one dictionary. So if there's a particular meaning you're looking for, you don't have to go through a whole bunch of dictionaries to get to it. Actually useful even with just CC+PLC since there are quite a few words that are only in one or the other. It doesn't show results from all dictionaries because the goal is to show you a list of unique words - you then tap on a particular word to access various dictionaries' take on it.

Merging entries on the definition screen is a whole different issue - it's doable too, and in fact should be cropping up to some extent in future betas / future finished releases, but we don't view the current system of switching between dictionaries as being quite as deficient in that screen as it is in search.

JimmyTheSaint said:
Quick Input Bar: Once again, I'm experiencing no actual benefit, so again I think I'm missing something. The only context in which I see the added buttons is at the "top" of the app. For example, to go into OCR, you normally have to touch settings, then "OCR." So having an "OCR" button available for quick input is supposed to save me one touch? What's the big deal that makes it worth devoting screen space to the quick input bar? Perhaps if I used "Rad" and "Vox" I'd appreciate this new feature more, but it seems to be a weak version of a true shortcut to the top of Pleco. What I really want is a shortcut to the top of the app from any context. For example, if I'm several levels deep in checking out a word's components, but I want to enter a new keyword, it's really annoying to have to hit the "back" button multiple times. You would think that a quick input bar would appear in this context, but I only seem to see the quick input bar when I'm already near the top. It only ever seems to save one touch.

Putting that bar in other screens is a very good idea, thanks! Might be a little tricky to work into some of them but we'll see what we can do. As far as its utility in searches, that one touch saved actually seems to make a difference for a lot of people - we've had tons of requests for something like this on iOS in the last two years and we didn't have the free space at the bottom of the screen to accommodate it, but on Android we do and so we have. It's not just the one touch, either, it's the touch accuracy - it's tough to hit a HWR button in a row of buttons below the search field, you really have to aim carefully.

Supaiku said:
Document reader / bookmarks -

First, I would like to say this is a big selling point, as there is no other app that has this feature. (I often use wenlin on Windows).
- Is there some way to open documents with it? There doesn't seem to be any open a document button - is it just a clipboard reader?
- The "Choose a dictionary" Setting (long press on current dictionary) has a bug wherein the screen presents with no words (though the buttons for dictionaries do work).
- Can multi-dictionary search be added to this feature? - and an OPTION for a scrollable search window? (maybe it wouldn't be as good as it sounds?)
-What is bookmarks?

The opening-documents feature is part of the paid Document Reader add-on. (for which we should probably lower the price - we charge $10 for it on iOS because it also includes some stuff like a web browser that we don't currently offer on Android) Efficiently loading / reading and reliably bookmarking text files is a lot trickier than just displaying a bit of text from the clipboard (which doesn't really require any code we haven't already written for dictionary cross-referencing)

You can already search multiple dictionaries in the popup reader by tapping on the button in the corner of the "bubble." Supporting merged multi-dictionary search here doesn't really make sense because there's no list of results and in general there's only one word it might be anyway - we find the longest possible matching character sequence in any dictionary and lock on to / display that. So you're getting just about all of the multi-dictionary support you can get with that one button.

Bookmarks let you mark a place in a document and jump back to it later, again only in the paid module though.

Custom fonts: I tried three different font files in /Android/data/com.pleco.chinesesystem/files/fonts/chinese and none of them work on my Xoom. Tried and installed on my Desire, also not working.
The ttf's I used have been tried and tested in Windows.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Marc Vermeiren said:
Custom fonts: I tried three different font files in /Android/data/com.pleco.chinesesystem/files/fonts/chinese and none of them work on my Xoom. Tried and installed on my Desire, also not working.

That's odd... do you mind telling me the names of the fonts?

mikelove said:
Marc Vermeiren said:

That's odd... do you mind telling me the names of the fonts?

HDZB_36.TTF, HDZB_75.TTF and STXINGKA.TTF. All are free fonts that can be found in a number of places on the net.

mfcb

状元
regarding bookmarks,
- would it be possible to implement browse all booksmarks (even from different texts->rapid document changing :roll: )
- would like to have an "auto-last-position" bookmark
- (already mentioned somewhere i think) possiblity to save clipboard loaded reader content

no glitches found so far...

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Marc Vermeiren said:
HDZB_36.TTF, HDZB_75.TTF and STXINGKA.TTF. All are free fonts that can be found in a number of places on the net.

OK, we'll test with those and see if we can figure out what's going wrong. Thanks.

mfcb said:
- would it be possible to implement browse all booksmarks (even from different texts->rapid document changing )

Might be... interesting idea. So we'd list all of the documents you'd viewed in recently viewed order with their associated bookmarks?

mfcb said:
- would like to have an "auto-last-position" bookmark

It should already be taking you to the last position automatically - is it not doing that now?

mfcb said:
- (already mentioned somewhere i think) possiblity to save clipboard loaded reader content

Already possible, just choose "Save" from the menu.