new line in flashcards, when importing from a text file?

taijidan

举人
Is there anyway to create a new line in flashcards, when importing from a text file?

I want to create some flashcards and custom dict entries based on poems and would like to import them such that each line of the poem is on a new line.

I know once the cards are imported you can edit the dict entry to add line breaks, but it want to know if there is anyway structure that from the import file?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
At the moment, this is only supported in XML flashcard imports, not text-based ones. Unofficially, if you insert the Unicode private use character 0xEA01 Pleco will convert that into a newline, but that's not guaranteed to continue working in future releases (though it's unlikely we'd change it in anything short of a major version update at least).

mhm

mike, i tried this but it would not work. maybe i use a wrong format though. maybe you can give me a hint. this is from my xml-file:

...</pron><defn>EINS [1]&#xEA01;&#xEA01;nur für anfänger</defn></entry>...

it will just ignore &#xEA01;

mhm

mikelove said:
Unofficially, if you insert the Unicode private use character 0xEA01 Pleco will convert that into a newline,...

Mike, I tried this as shown in the next line, but pleco import would just ignore it. Did I use a wrong notation?
...</pron><defn>ONE&#xEA01;&#xEA01;my mnemonic</defn></entry><catassign category=...

are there other things that I can do with xml-import? such as e.g. turn words oblique, fat, underline, change font size.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Sorry, I had the wrong character - it's EAB1, not 01. Might be a bug in how the importer handles XML entities, though - try inserting it as a UTF-8 string instead. (should be able to do this with Word or a good Unicode text editor)

All of those other things can be done too, yes - EAB2/3 for bold/nobold, 4/5 for oblique/no oblique (but that doesn't work on anything but iPhone yet), 6/7 for underline (also a big buggy), font sizes and links are a bit more complicated. But please nobody invest a lot of time into supporting these, we could easily change them in a future update.