New Registration System?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
We get about half a dozen emails a month from users who for whatever reason no longer have access to their old iTunes account and would like help finding / restoring their previous Pleco iOS purchases, and also usually 2 or 3 from people who've lost their iPhone, replaced it it with an Android phone and have no way of looking up their old iOS purchase in order to transfer it to Android. Since Apple anonymizes all purchases, we often have absolutely no way to help in these situations unless the user has had the foresight to write down their "Registration ID," which most people don't do.

For this reason, we've decided to introduce some kind of mechanism in the next version of Pleco for people to "register" their purchases, so that they have a reliable way to look them up even if they can no longer access the account they were made from and never wrote down their Registration ID. There are basically two ways we can do this:

• User keeps data - we make it really easy to save your Registration ID: put up a dialog offering to automatically insert it into an email to yourself the first time you buy an add-on, e.g. This has the advantage of preserving user privacy, but of course it also puts the burden on users to keep that information around.
  • Pleco keeps data - we prompt the user to supply an email address for a new purchase that we then associate with the Registration ID, so that if they run into any problems later we can look up their order by their email address. (this could also feed into an automated system for transferring purchases on Android e.g.) However, this means we get access to people's email addresses, which some people might prefer not to give us.

One solution might be to provide both options, but we already solve WAY too many problems in Pleco that way :), so I wanted to know if anybody had any strong opinions on / justifications for picking one system over the other. On Android we do have access to paying customers' names / addresses / emails / etc (no way to avoid it, in fact - they're in our Google Checkout account whether we want them or not), but with Apple going to so much effort to preserve users' anonymity, and with all of the recent scandals on that front, perhaps we should err on the side of inconveniencing users rather than asking for personal information.

Alexis

状元
If you email the person the first time they buy an add-on, doesn't that mean you already know their email address?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Alexis said:
If you email the person the first time they buy an add-on, doesn't that mean you already know their email address?

No, because in this scenario they're only emailing themselves - we pop up a standard iOS email composition screen (much like the Pleco "Contact Support" command now) but with no "To" email address, so it just goes to them via the automatic self-Bcc.

Otherwise, we do the same thing with a Pleco registration address in the "To" field - that way they can register without actually having to type their email address since it's already in the 'From' field. But then we have their email, and a lot of people are reluctant to give out their email addresses since they're worried about spam / mailing lists / etc.

Solarin88

秀才
Don't you already have an optional version of the "Pleco keeps data" option in place already, with the "My Orders" tab on the Pleco website? I really don't think it's too much to ask to require an email address when a user makes a purchase from your company. I mean, if the customer has an iOS device, that means Apple already has both their email address and their credit card info. Therefore, their identity and purchases aren't really anonymous, Apple still has it. Plus, one of the main reasons users don't like giving away email addresses to companies is because of spam mail, and it's not like Pleco sends that many emails out.

If you don't want to require an email address though, you could just strongly suggest users supply them and warn them in advance that it will be difficult to help them with problems if they do not provide them. Therefore, users who are intent on privacy can just take their own individual risk, I think that's fair.

Edit: Also, I have plenty of apps that have my email address. Very popular ones too, such as Wunderlist, Evernote, Instapaper, etc. So, you would be far from the first app that asks for an email address, I don't think it's a big deal at all. :p

Tezuk

举人
You might be asking the wrong group of people. You already have the email address of everybody on the forum anyway! I for one wouldn't mind Pleco keeping my details, especially if it makes transferring to Android easier.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Solarin88 said:
If you don't want to require an email address though, you could just strongly suggest users supply them and warn them in advance that it will be difficult to help them with problems if they do not provide them. Therefore, users who are intent on privacy can just take their own individual risk, I think that's fair.

Edit: Also, I have plenty of apps that have my email address. Very popular ones too, such as Wunderlist, Evernote, Instapaper, etc. So, you would be far from the first app that asks for an email address, I don't think it's a big deal at all.

That makes sense - actually makes the choice seem kind of obvious. We required email registration prior to purchase (or to downloading free add-ons like CC-CEDICT) for the first few months after our app was released and had a couple of people register but then panic / change their minds / ask for us to please purge all record of their identity from our systems, so that's why I'm a little hesitant to start collecting their information again - Google may give us access to customer names / email addresses / mailing addresses / phone numbers, but customers aren't ever explicitly made aware of that, whereas in this case they are.

Tezuk said:
You might be asking the wrong group of people. You already have the email address of everybody on the forum anyway! I for one wouldn't mind Pleco keeping my details, especially if it makes transferring to Android easier.

True - people seem willing enough to hand it over here. Mostly just wondering if anybody was offended by this notion on privacy grounds, or if there was some other reason to go with one approach or the other that I hadn't thought of.

Alexis

状元
I'd say: ask the user if they want to register their email, and send a registration email either way.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Alexis said:
I'd say: ask the user if they want to register their email, and send a registration email either way.

That could also work, though it would be yet another case of falling back on solving problems by adding options...