New Test > Card categories, easier way to add new category?

wibr

进士
I want to add x flashcards a day by using a large number of categories, one for each day... for this use case, and I think also for others, it would make sense to organize the card categories screen more intelligently, e.g. scroll down automatically to the last active category. Another option would be to add a button "Include next category", although that would add more clutter...

Edit: Ok I just saw that pleco already has a function to limit the new cards per day, so that one is covered I guess... it might still make sense to make the categories screen adapt to the currently selected categories

Last edited:

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Scrolling to the last active category might make sense, I suppose, though I worry that it would annoy as many people as it would help and I hate to add an extra option for something as small as that.

What about just keeping your top-level category list short? Very easy / fast to move categories into / out of other categories - put a week's worth of them on top at a time and hide the rest of them deeper.

wibr

进士
So I tried to add all categories and then let pleco take care of the number of flashcards per day, however pleco doesn't keep the order of the flashcards. I have 350 categories, added them all, set new flashcards per day to 20 and while I do get 20 new cards, it's from random categories and not from category 2 like it should be on the second day... under Card selection the "... randomly" are both deactivated, so is there another setting which I haven't found yet?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
The system introduces new cards either randomly or by creation order (you can change that setting in Card Selection) - there's not currently an option to do it in category order; honestly in 6 years of offering SRS flashcards I believe you're the first person to ask for that particular feature.

If you have one category for each day then I'd suggest simply adding it manually as you were describing before.

wibr

进士
Actually I just want the "natural" order of the flashcard file, from top to bottom...shouldn't this be the creation order? I imported the flashcards using the unsafe option, but I guess that shouldn't make a difference?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
That should be the created order, yes - are you sure that's what you've configured it to use?

wibr

进士
At least I think so, yes...what would be the key setting to use? The two "... randomly" options in Card selection are disabled, but don't they just refer to the cards which already have been studied at least once?

wibr

进士
thanks that's it...I had it set to "newest first", exactly the opposite of what I want, not sure why I did that...