Null character U+0000

I have some UCS2-Little Endian encoded text files that I've been copying to Pleco to read on there when I noticed that some of them were inexplicably corrupted with all kinds of strange whorls and whatnots. After messing around with a hex editor for a while, I've narrowed it down to 0x0000 unicode character (the NULL), in most text editors and other iOS software, they simply discard or display a blank character for this, but Pleco doesn't seem to handle them well. I acquire text files on a daily basis, so if it can be avoided, I'd rather not have to strip them out myself. Just wanted to give you guys a heads up about this.

Thanks,
Taiwan Shaun

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
taiwanshaun said:
I have some UCS2-Little Endian encoded text files that I've been copying to Pleco to read on there when I noticed that some of them were inexplicably corrupted with all kinds of strange whorls and whatnots. After messing around with a hex editor for a while, I've narrowed it down to 0x0000 unicode character (the NULL), in most text editors and other iOS software, they simply discard or display a blank character for this, but Pleco doesn't seem to handle them well. I acquire text files on a daily basis, so if it can be avoided, I'd rather not have to strip them out myself. Just wanted to give you guys a heads up about this.

Thanks for the note on this. Shouldn't be difficult to fix, though I'm curious about where you're coming across all of these text files with NULL characters in them - were they run through some sort of converter app?