OCR only recognizes 2 characters

plechead

I have just purchased pleco and I can only get the OCR to recognise 2 traditional chinese characters - this is abit of a pain as it takes much longer this way.

I have changed word detect samples to 5 and word detect match len to 5 but it seems to continue to be stuck on recognising only 2 characters.

please help!

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
plechead said:
I have just purchased pleco and I can only get the OCR to recognise 2 traditional chinese characters - this is abit of a pain as it takes much longer this way.

I have changed word detect samples to 5 and word detect match len to 5 but it seems to continue to be stuck on recognising only 2 characters.

If you pause the recognizer, you can tap on other words in the recognition area to get their definitions too. Showing multiple words' definitions on the screen at the same time would make things rather crowded...

plechead

fantastic! that works exactly how you described.

One more thing - focusing seems to be abit buggy. It focuses in on the characters but doesn't *stay* focused - so you have to try many times before you actually get a clear focus on the characters

Close up function (flower icon) does not work - camera focuses in but then resets itself going back to its original unfocused state

I am using Android 4.0.4
Model: LT18i (Sony Arc)
Build: 4.1.B.0.431
Kernel 2.6.32.9-perf

hope we can resolve this as the focus works on other similar software such as 'OCR Test'

thank you

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
plechead said:
One more thing - focusing seems to be abit buggy. It focuses in on the characters but doesn't *stay* focused - so you have to try many times before you actually get a clear focus on the characters

Close up function (flower icon) does not work - camera focuses in but then resets itself going back to its original unfocused state

It's actually a toggle button and is on by default - if you simply leave it on (don't tap on it), does that get focus working better? The focus should stay fixed / locked in that mode. However, if you're too far away for macro focus to work, tap on that button to turn it off and then re-focus again.

Unfortunately, while some newer Android devices support continuous auto-focus, many other devices claim to support it but actually crash when it's activated, so in order to keep our app working reliably we're not able to use that yet. (though we may add an off-by-default option for it in Settings at some point)

plechead

mikelove said:

It's actually a toggle button and is on by default - if you simply leave it on (don't tap on it), does that get focus working better? The focus should stay fixed / locked in that mode. However, if you're too far away for macro focus to work, tap on that button to turn it off and then re-focus again.
mikelove said:
Unfortunately, while some newer Android devices support continuous auto-focus, many other devices claim to support it but actually crash when it's activated, so in order to keep our app working reliably we're not able to use that yet. (though we may add an off-by-default option for it in Settings at some point)

I'm not sure I understand what you mean "It's actually a toggle button and is on by default " - the focus does not work by itself automatically if that's what you mean. Also, when pressing the toggle button to focus on demand that does not work either 9 times out of 10.

Allow me to describe this a little better. I am attempting to scan and translate off a A4 piece of white paper with black traditional Chinese print - the ocr is in video mode, trying to read the text with the default focus is too blurry and inaccurate, therefore the focus toggle button is required to get an accurate scan to translate. When attempting to focus in on the characters, the camera focuses in successfully but then suddenly resets itself and goes back to the original blurry out of focus state. It will do this around 8-10 times before attempting to focus at different distances and it finally focuses in correctly to allow an accurate read out.

hope this helps

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
plechead said:
I'm not sure I understand what you mean "It's actually a toggle button and is on by default " - the focus does not work by itself automatically if that's what you mean. Also, when pressing the toggle button to focus on demand that does not work either 9 times out of 10.

What I mean is that the software is in "macro mode" by default when it starts up; if you're looking at something up close, you should avoid tapping on that top button at all but should instead simply position your phone an appropriate distance from the paper and tap on the focus button at the *bottom* of the screen to re-focus around that. If, on the other hand, you're farther away, or you find that you can't get a good focus in macro mode, tap on that top button once to turn it off, then again re-focus using the button at the bottom of the screen.

plechead said:
Allow me to describe this a little better. I am attempting to scan and translate off a A4 piece of white paper with black traditional Chinese print - the ocr is in video mode, trying to read the text with the default focus is too blurry and inaccurate, therefore the focus toggle button is required to get an accurate scan to translate. When attempting to focus in on the characters, the camera focuses in successfully but then suddenly resets itself and goes back to the original blurry out of focus state. It will do this around 8-10 times before attempting to focus at different distances and it finally focuses in correctly to allow an accurate read out.

That definitely sounds like it's in the wrong mode - it's hitting the end of the focal range for whatever mode it's in and still not seeing the image in focus.