Pages in document reader

magicdave

秀才
Hi,
Would it be at all possible to change the document reader so that it presents files in individual pages rather than one long scroll? I know it's possible to jump down the screen a page at a time, but I find it helps when trying to get to grips with a document, and also when learning new words to be able to remember exactly whereabouts in the page I encountered it. Wouldn't need page-turning animations like iBooks has, just discrete (ideally numbered) pages.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
magicdave said:
Would it be at all possible to change the document reader so that it presents files in individual pages rather than one long scroll? I know it's possible to jump down the screen a page at a time, but I find it helps when trying to get to grips with a document, and also when learning new words to be able to remember exactly whereabouts in the page I encountered it. Wouldn't need page-turning animations like iBooks has, just discrete (ideally numbered) pages.

Possible, but the big issue there is words that bridge pages (and sentences too, for that matter) - what would we do for a word that has its first character on one page and its second character on the next? We can't duplicate the line between both pages because then the locations would be off. Sentences are almost as bad since you have to keep flipping back and forth to parse them...

One possibility would be to have the current page arrow buttons "anchor" to the same page boundaries even if you're in the middle of the page; that way, you could scroll around freely, but if you page-scrolled a given word would always be in the same location. Would that help matters any?

magicdave

秀才
Hmm, good point - but I don't think it would necessarily be that big a problem, as long as the dictionary look-up is still capable of reading across the page breaks. But your suggestion of anchored page boundaries would also be a big improvement, in my opinion.