Palm rejection with iPad Pro / Pencil

AndreasAA

Hi guys, really awesome app, been using it since forever and impressed how you make it better each year. one qualm: I'm trying to use my Apple Pencil to write characters, however it seems palm rejection doesn't work with Pleco, i.e. there is no way to write naturally with my palm resting on the iPad. Are there any plans to build this in to support the growing number of pencil users?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Probably in 4.0, since we're revamping the handwriting box a bit in general - frankly it's not a super high priority for us since iPad Pro users are a pretty tiny portion of our customer base and of course not even all of those have Pencil's.

(we're also a little uncertain of Pencil's utility for handwriting input anyway, based on our own testing - the mode switch takes long enough that you lose out on a lot of the efficiency gains from drawing with a stylus instead of a finger, especially when you factor in the loss of the two-finger tap clear gesture)

JF

I would also vote for the palm rejection for the iPad Pro + Apple pencil. I’ve been using Pleco for many years, and switching to the Pencil 6 monts ago has been qualitatively different compared to using my finger for flash cards. First, I started developing repetitive strain issues with my finger (probably too many flash cards in a row!), and the pencil relieves that problem. I’m also improving my character penmanship, and am finding I can do this much better with the pencil. This is particularly helpful now that there are more fonts in Pleco that are good models for writing. These plusses outweigh the minuses of efficiency you mentioned and even the palm rejection issues.

Finally, the Apple Pencil has actually become fairly useful for the iPad, so my non-Pleco workflow has my pencil nearby, and I use my pencil for other apps as well. Unfortunately, without palm rejection, Pleco flash cards is actually functioning less well for me now (as my characters keep getting deleted when my palm touches the screen).

Thanks for all your wonderful work on Pleco—it’s the one app I rave about to all my friends and family!

pdwalker

状元
(we're also a little uncertain of Pencil's utility for handwriting input anyway, based on our own testing - the mode switch takes long enough that you lose out on a lot of the efficiency gains from drawing with a stylus instead of a finger, especially when you factor in the loss of the two-finger tap clear gesture)

Here's one use case: When I am practicing my writing, my finger tends to get a bit sore as I wear down the skin on the tip of my finger practicing. So, I use a pencil to write when I am practicing writing a lot of characters which saves tremendous wear and tear on my finger

(for the record, I am using an Adonit Pixel which, while it works very well, I cannot recommend because it is as fragile as a crystal glass. I've had mine replaced twice already in less than 6 weeks because it stopped working - I now keep it safe and only pull it out when I do a lot of writing practice)