Play Google TTS on flashcards-sentences

Miguel

状元
Hi,
I have made a flashcard category with sentences examples from the Pleco dictonary. In the dictionary I can listen to the Google TTS (or the Pleco TTS), but is there any way to listen also to the TTS when revealing while practicing the flashcards? right now I only get the normal female/male voices of the dictionary, which don't sound as natural for sentences

Miguel

状元
I think since I have in general audio settings to alternate between the two voices (I like to alternate them in my flashcards since their pronunciation is a little bit different), in my sentence-flashcards alternates between male voice and TTS

Miguel

状元
And now in normal vocabulary flashcards that I have set so the audio plays first (for practicing listening), it alternates between male and TTS, instead of between male-female, even though these flashcards have female recording

Last edited:

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Are you sure they actually have dedicated recordings in the Extended database? Shouldn't be doing that, but the alternating gender is normal - if you've said you want the male + female voices then we assume that takes priority over your preference for TTS.

Miguel

状元
Yes, they are basic vocabulary words (HSK) and I have heard them before. And the male voice has them so I guess that the female voice also should.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Hmm, and you're sure that both the male and female extended databases are downloaded? Very odd, might be a bug which we can investigate for our next Android bug-fix update.

Miguel

状元
Sorry, I don't have the Extended ones :oops: (kind of didn't read that...). I have the basic ones, since the size of the extended is so big. But if I uncheck to alternate and choose male voice and "use tts if not recording" it will play everything with the male voice (even the sentences with no recording). If I choose female voice and "use tts if not recording" it will play with tts whatever flashcard with more than one character (one character flashcards will be played with the female voice).
Does this happen because of not having the extended ones?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Yes, if you don't have the extended recordings then "use TTS if no recording" will use TTS for anything longer than 1 character.

Miguel

状元
Then, if I have selected male voice and "use TTS if not recording", shouldn't it play the sentences with the TTS? Or is it that the gender selection goes first than the TTS one?

Miguel

状元
Thanks. I have installed the Extended voices. How do I erase them in case I want to go back to the basic ones?
And would it be possible to add in the future a little more of personalized settings to the audio in flashcards? And since I am asking about future requests (and going offtopic...), are you still thinking about adding the "+" button to the example sentences in the flashcards so it is possible to create new sentences flashcards while practicing (so there is no need to go to the dictionary and go back again to continue the session)?

Last edited:

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
You can delete them in Add-ons / Installed.

What sort of personalized settings are you referring to? Is it basically that you want it to only switch genders if there's a recording and always play female otherwise? I'm a little wary of that since it's going to feel like a bug if you turn it on by accident.

I'm also a little wary of adding [+] buttons to examples in the main flashcard test screen - seems very cluttered - but the current plan is that you'll be able to get the full dictionary definition screen for the flashcard even more easily than now (just tapping on a tab, no need to wait for the animated transition to the definition screen) so it should feel like there's even less friction thanks to that.

Miguel

状元
What sort of personalized settings are you referring to? Is it basically that you want it to only switch genders if there's a recording and always play female otherwise? I'm a little wary of that since it's going to feel like a bug if you turn it on by accident.
Being able to reproduce only tts (override gender) in order to be able to play sentences flashcards in a more fluent/natural way. Or maybe adding audio settings to the flashcards so it could be independent in each profile

I'm also a little wary of adding [+] buttons to examples in the main flashcard test screen - seems very cluttered - but the current plan is that you'll be able to get the full dictionary definition screen for the flashcard even more easily than now (just tapping on a tab, no need to wait for the animated transition to the definition screen) so it should feel like there's even less friction thanks to that.
That sounds good enough :)

Last edited: