Pleco 2.0 on 2 memory cards

thph2006

进士
I'll be using an IPAQ 211 with a single SDHC slot for Pleco. The biggest SDHC card I can afford is the 16GB but I need around 28GB for all my Chinese language mp3 files so I need to split the files between two 16GB cards and swap them in and out depending on which mp3 files I want to use. I assume I need to put Pleco on the cards as well since I don't think it will fit with all its dictionaries etc. in the internal memory. Can I have two exact copies of Pleco and all its files, one on each SDHC card? I'm assuming they would both be keyed to the same IPAQ serial number. Will that work? If not, is there another way to be able to swap multiple SDHC cards in and out and always have access to Pleco?

Thanks, tom

KesterN

秀才
Hi, I believe you can make copies of all the miscellaneous files needed to run Pleco onto another memory card, apart from the core software file itself, which would be installed on the device's internal memory, and remain locked to the device.

This means one can use 2 memory cards with one device, but wouldn't be able to use either memory card with another device and continue to use Pleco.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Yes, as The Duelist suggests if you lock it to the device instead of the card you can swap out the cards and it won't matter - just put a copy of the Pleco data files on each card. (download the Manual-install version and put a copy of the entire "Pleco" folder on each of them) Flashcards etc will be stored in your iPAQ's internal memory so those will remain the same regardless.

thph2006

进士
OK, I'll be installing Pleco tomorrow and need some last minute advice. (I really want to get this right the first time)

My IPAQ 211 has 256MB built-in Flash. I have two 16GB SDHC cards. My current library of MP3s (28GB of mostly Chinese language instruction) will be divided equally between the two SDHC cards. Only one card can be installed at a time. I need to have Pleco fully functional no matter which of the cards is plugged in so here's what I'm thinking:

1. Put identical copies of all non-writable Pleco files on both SDHC cards. I assume these would include audio files and dictionaries. This is to avoid having to figure out how to keep the common files on two different cards in synch and backed up.
2. Put all modifiable Pleco files in the 211's internal Flash. I assume that would be the main program files and preferences.
3. Lock Pleco to the IPAQ.
4. Store flashcards in the IPAQ internal flash where they can be backed up without worrying about whether they're in synch between the two SDHC cards as I swap them in and out. (I have no idea how many flashcards would fit in internal flash though)

Questions:
1. Will this work? If not, what's the best way to deal with the fact that I'll be constantly swapping between two SDHC cards.
2. Does anyone have a list of what can/can't be placed in internal Flash vs. SDHC and what has to be kept together vs. can be put anywhere?
3. Is there a list of file sizes for the main program, dictionaries, audio files, flash cards, etc somewhere? I couldn't find one.

thx, tom

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
1. That should work fine, yes. You don't actually need to do anything for step 2, Pleco creates those files in internal memory automatically the first time it runs.

2. The only two files that have to stay in internal memory are Pleco.exe and PlecoHWR.dll (both of which are installed there by the automated or .cab installer regardless of where you tell it to install to). PlecoLauncher and PlecoConverter should also go in internal if you're installing those.

3. There isn't one on the website (yet), but you can check most of them yourself by downloading the Manual-install version. Flashcard databases vary in size but shouldn't be larger than a few MB unless you're creating a colossal number of cards.