Pleco 2 Flashcards (or equivalent) for non-Chinese purposes?

Alexis

状元
I'd like to use Pleco 2's flashcards, or a program as feature rich as Pleco 2's flashcard capabilities, to work with data that is not for learning Chinese. I especially like Pleco's "frequency spacing" usage.

Any suggestions?

stisev

进士
Alexis said:
I'd like to use Pleco 2's flashcards, or a program as feature rich as Pleco 2's flashcard capabilities, to work with data that is not for learning Chinese. I especially like Pleco's "frequency spacing" usage.

Any suggestions?

I have a similar question. I hope you don't mind if I hijack your question.

Other flashcard programs like Scarybear FlashIt, FlashcardWhiz, etc.. have ability to just open .txt file and add flash cards based on the following format. Can Pleco do something similar?

--------------------
Question1
Answer1
Question2
Answer2
Question3
Answer3
----------------------

I checked everywhere inside of Pleco's manual but cannot find an answer to this.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
There's no way to use Pleco's flashcard system for anything but Chinese at the moment, or at least no way we officially support - a lot of the power and flexibility in our system comes from the fact that it's designed specifically for quizzing people on Chinese dictionary entries.

Alexis

状元
I see. If you ever do decide to roll out a standalone flashcard program I'd buy it in a heartbeat! :)

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Well we certainly might do something like that once the flashcard system feels a bit more "finished" - right now I think it's still much too intimidating / complicated-to-use to justify choosing it over Anki or another basic SRS system unless you're using it to learn Chinese, but another few updates and we should have it in much better shape usability-wise. And in general, more flexibility in terms of what can go in which fields has some use even for Chinese - we really need to do something with Pinyin fields, for example, lots of people want to put other information / other dialects in them and there's no reason they shouldn't be able to do so.

Alexis

状元
Stilll... I think it's the best of what's out there, at least for pocket PC :)

My main problem is that I haven't been able to get ANY srs reliably and functionally working on Pocket PC so far...

Anki... Hard to find executable, Requires Python Run Time, Locks up
FullRecall... Mediocre interface, can't find a way to organize/list existing flashcards on the mobile device
SuperMemo... Buggy

Anyone had any luck with ANY srs program on on pocket pc?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Well you can certainly try that - in E-C mode Pleco doesn't really interfere much with the content of those fields at all, so I suppose it might be reasonably usable at least. I didn't realize the situation with Anki / SuperMemo was that bad, though - suggests there may be some interesting opportunities for us once we do get the system to a polished / finished-feeling state.

stisev

进士
Well you can certainly try that - in E-C mode Pleco doesn't really interfere much with the content of those fields at all, so I suppose it might be reasonably usable at least. I didn't realize the situation with Anki / SuperMemo was that bad, though - suggests there may be some interesting opportunities for us once we do get the system to a polished / finished-feeling state

Are you kidding?

SuperMemo is absolute horrid. I mean, seriously, a horrid horrid interface. I cringe when I look at it. Creating flashcards for Supermemo-compatible programs requires the sacrafice of 100 chickens to the Sun God. I feel like clawing my eyes out whenever I use it.

Anki is alright, but slow and buggy. It's also not portable and doesn't offer mobile version; well, actually it does, but it's worse than SuperMemo, if that's even possible.

ZDT is ok, only b/c it can produce flash cards for Pleco :)

IMO, the best way to make flashcards are UTF-8 compatible text files, imported line by line from a text file - the score file can be a file renamed to a ".plec' or whatever to keep the flashcard file editable.

mikeloveflashcards.txt <-- flashcard file
mikeloveflashcards.plec <-- Score file (only contains scores up to a certain "line". Once new flashcards are added to mikeloveflashcards.txt, the scoring can continue from that line).

The question/answer scheme should be:

question1<tab>answer1
question2<tab>answer2
question3<tab>answer3
question4<tab>answer4

When you save the text file, one should be able to save it and import into pleco.

Alexis

状元
Muchas gracias gato and thanks stisev! Importing into Pleco 2 as E-C works perfectly! Exactly what I was looking for. I'm glad to say that I now have a stable and useful better-than-SRS solution. :D