Pleco Android on PC bluestacks emulator

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
dustpuppy said:
Would Pleco function on this ? http://bluestacks.com/

Possibly, but it would be achingly slow until we add native support for x86 processors. Which will likely happen soon after the first popular x86-based Android device appears - not sure when that will be, though. (Intel's pushing the idea pretty hard, but it's tough to convince someone to release a device that won't work with a large percentage of Android apps until they're rewritten)

Works beautifully, flawlessly on my Toshiba Qosmio i7, 1.6GHz, 4GB: account reg, add-ons, settings, lookups--the whole shebang. Finally, I've got Pleco for desktop.

I can report that it works on my XP desktop PC that has a Geforce 9800 video card.

It will not install on my circa 07 XP laptop that has the old intel 945 express chipset, due to not powerful enough onboard graphics.
As a warning to everyone who wants to try this out on older hardware with onboard graphics, be ready to get a discreet video card if you have a desktop machine. If you have an older laptop, perhaps when bluestacks comes out of beta, they will update it for weaker onboard GPUs.

I didn't look on their site to see if they have a list of supported onboard graphics chips, but you'll find out if it is supported fairly quickly, as the bluestacks app will error out saying your GPU is not powerful enough to run the app, because it uses android's advanced display mode, or some similar message.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Interesting - I'm surprised that performance is decent given how poor it is in Google's own ARM-based emulator. We'll be adding X86 support just as soon as someone distributes an X86-based Android phone widely enough that we can buy one, but it doesn't make sense to add it specifically for desktops because our performance optimization would be totally useless (and even the testing in general semi-useless - we might unwittingly compile it to use some instruction that's supported on a Core 2 Duo but not on an Atom).

I'd be curious to see how well it works on a windows XP, 7 and 8 tablet with a stylus, or even the HP and Sony all in one touch PCs. Then there are the things like wacom bamboo, intuos, and cintiq tablets!
I'm tempted to look for my Wacom tablet and see how well it works!
Bluestacks may have just opened up a whole new market for you without any additional work needing to be done on your side :D

In addition to my Toshiba Qosmio, I've got it working nicely on my ASUS Zenbook UX-31 and ASUS F83VF. My Sony VAIO Z2 is my best computer, but I get the graphics conflict when Blue Stacks tries to install Pleco. It's odd that Blue Stacks runs Pleco ok on the other computers, but not the Z2, and that's the one that I need to use the most. It might not be that the onboard graphics aren't powerful enough, but some other incompatibility with the Z2's onboard graphics. I mean, I play HD movies on the Z2, no problem.

I tried installing Blue Stacks last month specifically so I could use Pleco on my PC. I specifically wanted to try out the handwriting add-on that was being given away to see if it would be worth adding to my iphone Pleco (or, if we wind up buying an Android tablet this summer). It worked brilliantly the first day. Unfortunately ever since then, I haven't gotten it to work again (Every time I get the following error message: "application failure detected, please try again"). I'm not sure what the problem is. I've tried rebooting, restarting Blue Stacks, etc., but I just can't get the program to even load now. I tried installing a few other apps (like Hanping Chinese). They work fine, but the main reason I'm even trying Blue Stacks is to use Pleco on my PC. Hopefully whatever problems Blue Stacks is having with running it will be worked out soon.

Anyone know of other Android (or iOS) emulators that can handle Pleco?

My PC runs a core i5 processor 430M, 4GB RAM, 320 GB HD, running Windows 7, so it should be able to handle it, I'd think. Could it be a graphics card limitation?

-Kevin

ASUS is now supporting Blue Stacks on their PC's:

http://download.cnet.com/8301-2007_4-57 ... luestacks/

I just have to complain again that it doesn't work on my VAIO Z2. Significantly more expensive than my ASUS ultrabook (even with the recent deep discount), but worth the extra expense--the Z2 is that much better than the Zenbook. And the recently updated Zenbook still doesn't promise a better experience than the Z2. So it's just too odd that Blue Stacks deems the Z2's graphics incapable. I'd bet anything that it's some minor incompatibility that Blue Stacks hasn't dealt with yet, rather than some inherent limitation of the Z2.