Pleco crashing on Samsung Galaxy Tab 3

LinZheFu

进士
On my Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 (10-inch), I have frequent crashes with Pleco. Sometimes it just hangs and I have to restart the device. Other times it freezes for a while and then resumes or sometimes just crashes but leaves the system operable. Is this a general Samsung problem? I know the device has poor memory management or not enough memory available for apps, so I wouldn't be shocked. Anything I can do to avoid trouble? My flashcards are getting large and may be part of the problem, perhaps? But the crashing often occurs just when looking up words rather than using flashcards.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
This actually sounds more like a corrupted database file - Pleco is extremely memory-light (on account of its origins as a Palm OS app) so outside of a few unusual scenarios it's very unlikely the problem would be running low on RAM. Delete and reinstall (make sure to back up your flashcard database first) and that should hopefully fix this.

LinZheFu

进士
Looks like the real culprit wasn't Pleco, but the Accuweather widget that is installed on the main screen by default. Found an online tip that this can cause freezing and crashes. Took it off, and Pleco has been great since. Fingers crossed. Might be good to know about this if other Samsung users complain of freezing and crashing in Pleco.

LinZheFu

进士
May have spoken too soon. Had another dramatic freeze + crash when I clicked on the instruction manual in settings. Opened a browser window that went all black and died. That eventually went away, but the system is now like molasses. Looks like a restart of the device may be needed.

JohnD

I've had something similar happen several times. I highlight a text in camera mode and it freezes, or just looking up a word and it freezes. If I restart my phone (Samsung Galaxy Ace II) then it's all fine. Doesn't happen often though. I imagine it's my phone.