Pleco for Android 2.3.5 Bug Report Thread

Alexis

状元
Settings->Dictionary->Search Settings->Search Dictionaries->Dictionary Search Order is set to 'From First'. This works fine when entering pinyin, but doesn't seem to work as consistently when entering characters. For example, I have the Tuttle set as my first dictionary and ABC as the second. I switch to ABC, then type in 'ha', the dictionary correctly switches to Tuttle. However if I had entered 哈 then it does not switch to Tuttle.

Alexis

状元
The definition for 现 in the Tuttle dictionary appears as 'null' in the listing view and blank when you open it

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Alexis said:
Settings->Dictionary->Search Settings->Search Dictionaries->Dictionary Search Order is set to 'From First'. This works fine when entering pinyin, but doesn't seem to work as consistently when entering characters. For example, I have the Tuttle set as my first dictionary and ABC as the second. I switch to ABC, then type in 'ha', the dictionary correctly switches to Tuttle. However if I had entered 哈 then it does not switch to Tuttle.

Seems to be working OK here - could you tell me the procedure you're using a bit more exactly? You type in "ha" and Tuttle comes up, you switch to ABC (with the keyboard still open) and switch to handwriting input, then write 哈 and switch back to keyboard and you're still looking at ABC?

Alexis said:
The definition for 现 in the Tuttle dictionary appears as 'null' in the listing view and blank when you open it

Quite right, we should probably get rid of those "null" entries altogether (though it appears that they're unique to Tuttle at the moment, and not a problem in the new expanded Tuttle we're releasing this spring).

Alexis

状元
Seems to be working OK here - could you tell me the procedure you're using a bit more exactly? You type in "ha" and Tuttle comes up, you switch to ABC (with the keyboard still open) and switch to handwriting input, then write 哈 and switch back to keyboard and you're still looking at ABC?

What I meant was that if I am in ABC, and type 'ha' with the keyboard entry, it properly switches to Tuttle. But, seperately, if I am in the ABC dictionary, press on the input bar, select the pen, and write the character 哈, then press 'done', it stays in the ABC dictionary (instead of switching to Tuttle). However, this problem went away after I rebooted my phone. So, I cannot reproduce it anymore.

Quite right, we should probably get rid of those "null" entries altogether (though it appears that they're unique to Tuttle at the moment, and not a problem in the new expanded Tuttle we're releasing this spring).

Ah, I see what you mean. I just checked my Paper version of the Tuttle Learner's and the entries are blank there as well. :)

Oooh... Expanded Tuttle? I can't wait!

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Alexis said:
What I meant was that if I am in ABC, and type 'ha' with the keyboard entry, it properly switches to Tuttle. But, seperately, if I am in the ABC dictionary, press on the input bar, select the pen, and write the character 哈, then press 'done', it stays in the ABC dictionary (instead of switching to Tuttle). However, this problem went away after I rebooted my phone. So, I cannot reproduce it anymore.

Strange - anyway, if it happens again just let me know.

Alexis said:
Oooh... Expanded Tuttle? I can't wait!

Yep, expanded and bidirectional - should be a nice little upgrade. (and we're planning to let people apply the cost of the basic Tuttle they already purchased to the new one)

jamesquek

举人
Total Strokes

The Character Info TotalStrokes are grossly inaccurate. E.g., 之 should be 3 but TotalStrokes says 4. And characters with the walking radical like 达(should be 6 but it registers a 7) all get an extra count.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Re: Total Strokes

jamesquek said:
The Character Info TotalStrokes are grossly inaccurate. E.g., 之 should be 3 but TotalStrokes says 4. And characters with the walking radical like 达(should be 6 but it registers a 7) all get an extra count.

Hmm, that's how the data appears in Unihan, which is where we get it from - might be that they're using an alternate rendering or something like that. Unfortunately there aren't a whole lot of other sources of this sort of data available without license fees - our stroke order add-on gives you more accurate counts, but it's probably not worth paying for it just for that. But we'll keep our eyes out... thanks for the feedback.

alexclark

Yes, I installed 2 extended voice files from zip. The next day noticed that one of them went missing. Re-downloaded directly from the app, seems OK now.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Yikes, I'm seeing this too now - we'll fix this in 2.2.6, in the meantime I've switched the external file download page back to use the older files / instructions. Sorry about that...

leynux

举人
hi,

this might not be bugs, but features.

I'm happy to have at OCR Pictures and Reader, a menu bar to redirect search word meaning to web, like google translate, google image.
Since english is not mothertongue language, some of the words translated does not come to my sense.

tQ.

dang

I moved to a new phone this weekend (Galaxy Nexus, 4.0.2) and am seeing strange behavior with hand writing recognition mode.

For example, if I want to lookup 'san' I enter 3 horizontal strokes. The HWR treats each stroke as a new character, so the input control lists 'yi, er, san'. Same thing occurs for more complex entries.

I'm using the CN Market version of 2.3.5. I did not see this on my previous phone (nexus s, 3.0.6).

D/L the larger dictionaries is painfully slow for me. Any tips before I try a full re-install?

--
Dan

Alexis

状元
mikelove said:
Strange - anyway, if it happens again just let me know.

Here's the steps to reproduce (I assume here that Tuttle is the Primary Dictionary, and ABC is the 2nd)

1) Click in input section
2) Click on handwriting icon
3) Switch to ABC dictionary
4) Handwrite 人, select it, then select "Done" (Correctly switches to Tuttle)
5) Click in input section
6) Click on handwriting icon
7) Switch to ABC dictionary
8) Handwrite 天, select it, then select "Done" (Incorrectly stays at ABC (does not switch))

dang

dang said:
I moved to a new phone this weekend (Galaxy Nexus, 4.0.2) and am seeing strange behavior with hand writing recognition mode.

For example, if I want to lookup 'san' I enter 3 horizontal strokes. The HWR treats each stroke as a new character, so the input control lists 'yi, er, san'. Same thing occurs for more complex entries.

I'm using the CN Market version of 2.3.5. I did not see this on my previous phone (nexus s, 3.0.6).

Not having HWR was frustating, so I want ahead and cleared the pleco data and uninstalled the app. I've re-installed and am still seeing the behavior listed above. Any ideas on how to work-around the issue? Or what additional information is needed to root cause the problem?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
leynux said:
I'm happy to have at OCR Pictures and Reader, a menu bar to redirect search word meaning to web, like google translate, google image.
Since english is not mothertongue language, some of the words translated does not come to my sense.

Good idea, but unfortunately now that Google's started charging for apps to access Google Translate it would be kind of tricky to implement - we'd have to make it a paid add-on with usage-based billing (since they charge us per character).

dang said:

Hmm... not seeing the same problem on a Galaxy Nexus here; which keyboard IME are you using? Can you try switching to the stock Android one and see if that helps matters? If we can reproduce it we should be able to fix it for 2.3.6.

dang said:
D/L the larger dictionaries is painfully slow for me. Any tips before I try a full re-install?

Check back here in a few hours and there'll be a form to enter your Registration ID to beta-test our new China download site.

Alexis said:
Here's the steps to reproduce (I assume here that Tuttle is the Primary Dictionary, and ABC is the 2nd)

Thanks - seeing this now, should be easy to fix for 2.3.6.

dang

mikelove said:
Hmm... not seeing the same problem on a Galaxy Nexus here; which keyboard IME are you using? Can you try switching to the stock Android one and see if that helps matters? If we can reproduce it we should be able to fix it for 2.3.6.

Switching IME made the difference. The problem occurs when using Google pinyin IME v1.4.2. It does not occur with the default android IME or Multiling IME v0.58.1.

mikelove said:
Check back here in a few hours and there'll be a form to enter your Registration ID to beta-test our new China download site.
Registered on the site, restarted Pleco and tried to download male extended audio. First attempt was horribly slow (1+ hr estimated download). This attempt failed and auto-retried. This was much faster (~10 min), but failed with ~1M left to d/l. Subsequent attempts to d/l all failed to connect. We're using China Telecom as our internet provider

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
dang said:
Switching IME made the difference. The problem occurs when using Google pinyin IME v1.4.2. It does not occur with the default android IME or Multiling IME v0.58.1.

Thanks, seeing that here too now.

dang said:
Registered on the site, restarted Pleco and tried to download male extended audio. First attempt was horribly slow (1+ hr estimated download). This attempt failed and auto-retried. This was much faster (~10 min), but failed with ~1M left to d/l. Subsequent attempts to d/l all failed to connect. We're using China Telecom as our internet provider

Hmm... back to the drawing board on that, I guess. Thanks. FWIW, you can also download the files via pleco.com/androidfiles, which will let you do the download from your computer and then transfer it to your device.

kiraven

举人
I am not sure if I found a bug or if it is due to my experimental Android version (CyanogenMod 9 v4.0.3 v2.1 on Nexus S).

In the Flashcard-Addon, I switched the subject selection to score-based. At "configure score subjects", all "show" fields are now set to the default "character". If I want to change one of the show-properties, e.g to "audio", I can select it in the popup, but the list continues to show "character". However, if I press the same field again, the correct entry, "audio", is selected in the popup selection list.

If I press the back button and go to configure score subjects again, everything is refreshed correctly to reflect the changes, "audio" is displayed instead of "character".

I hope the description is clear enough :)

@dang: Thanks for your descriptions! I ran in the same annoying problem and did not understand why it occurred sometimes for days, sometimes for hours, only to mysteriously stop again…

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
kiraven said:
I am not sure if I found a bug or if it is due to my experimental Android version (CyanogenMod 9 v4.0.3 v2.1 on Nexus S).

In the Flashcard-Addon, I switched the subject selection to score-based. At "configure score subjects", all "show" fields are now set to the default "character". If I want to change one of the show-properties, e.g to "audio", I can select it in the popup, but the list continues to show "character". However, if I press the same field again, the correct entry, "audio", is selected in the popup selection list.

If I press the back button and go to configure score subjects again, everything is refreshed correctly to reflect the changes, "audio" is displayed instead of "character".

Good catch - fixed for 2.3.6, thanks!