Pleco for Android Beta 7 Bug Report Thread

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
As usual, we'd love to hear about any previously-reported bugs that are still present in Beta 7 as well. Thanks!

dismissing keyboard with pop-up open leaves mess

Same bug as in b6 on my Galaxy Note. In two-panel landscape mode, if the keyboard is open and I open a pop-up window, then dismissing the keyboard leaves a mess. In fact, opening the pop-up is a mistake because it's not big enough to be useful, as you can see from the image. So you have to dismiss the keyboard, and then one would expect the pop-up to appear in a useful form, but it doesn't. So you have to hit 'return' again, then re-pop-up the window.

Attachments

• SC20120103-134622.png
    SC20120103-134622.png
    55.7 KB · Views: 1,277

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Re: dismissing keyboard with pop-up open leaves mess

JimmyTheSaint said:
Same bug as in b6 on my Galaxy Note. In two-panel landscape mode, if the keyboard is open and I open a pop-up window, then dismissing the keyboard leaves a mess. In fact, opening the pop-up is a mistake because it's not big enough to be useful, as you can see from the image. So you have to dismiss the keyboard, and then one would expect the pop-up to appear in a useful form, but it doesn't. So you have to hit 'return' again, then re-pop-up the window.

Thanks.

What IME are you using? We fixed this issue pretty thoroughly in B6, and checking on a couple of devices here it seems to deal with the keyboard closing correctly and resize the reader bubble, so perhaps there's something peculiar to your IME that's preventing Pleco from seeing that the keyboard has been closed and responding appropriately.

Supaiku

举人
1. [Cosmetic] In the dictionary popup box the dictionary select button still presents an over-sized orange box (that's orange, even if the color theme settings are set to some other color - say... blue - I like the theme colors! So fast! - or had that been there all along?). I imagine it should be sized more like the in the OCR popup box. See attached image.

2. [Cosmetic] In the OCR popup box, the dictionary select button flashes orange when you change the dictionary (but is correctly sized!, at least, it's a box around the letters only isn't too large - but it isn't beveled and set to fill the whole corner portion of the bar - I dunno what might look best), even if the theme colors indicate a different color. No screen shot attached, similar to #1 here, but in the OCR, and the problem is only the color, not the size.

3. [Cosmetic] The Reader dictionary popup bubble's dictionary select button is also mis-colored and oddly shaped. :)

4. [Cosmetic] The Dictionary window's entry buttons (Defn, 字info, stroke, chars, words) buttons show orange, and flash light orange despite color settings.

5. [Feature Request][Functional]Can you put some arrows in the OCR popup box too? Right now you have to manually select the next character, which requires some extra movement - "next" and "previous" arrows in the OCR popup box might be nice to keep from having to use those fine motor controls while ALSO trying to hold the device steady:p (I like the change to make it more stable, I had adjusted the settings up a little to make auto-pause more functional).

6. [Feature Request][Cosmetic] Everything looks so much better, I love the recent changes. (The mis-aligned text when device is inverted in OCR mode is all fixed up:) The only thing is, the bar at the top of the dictionary page sorta looks like an iOS program... it doesn't have the same look as a lot of android programs. Perhaps I'm just bias :p Just a thought :wink:

7. [Further Sprucing up] [Cosmetic] Also, there could be a little work done to spruce up the camera settings bar in OCR mode (as a note, I actually like the look of the focus, pause etc buttons - just the white lines around them somehow makes them look a bit nicer...), and even the non-popup bubble menu items in the reader could potentially be spruced up.

Oh! the notification bar setting is nice! :)

Attachments

• 20120104004531.jpeg
    20120104004531.jpeg
    212 KB · Views: 1,146
Re: dismissing keyboard with pop-up open leaves mess

mikelove said:
JimmyTheSaint said:

Thanks.

What IME are you using? We fixed this issue pretty thoroughly in B6, and checking on a couple of devices here it seems to deal with the keyboard closing correctly and resize the reader bubble, so perhaps there's something peculiar to your IME that's preventing Pleco from seeing that the keyboard has been closed and responding appropriately.

Swype, which is built in to touchwiz on my Galaxy Note.

Supaiku

举人
JimmyTheSaint said:
supaiku: what's the"notification bar setting"?

General - Startup Actions - Show Status Bar launcher. Just an easy way to jump to Pleco, that's all.
Actually, it's not really much better than the android native running/cached program's list, except that it's faster - oh, and it bring clipboard text up in the search if your other settings a set right. But i guess the clipboard monitor is tricky?

Antek dictionary has an even nicer quick button setup, but it seems tricky to use, or buggy (at least, I haven't figured it out/rarely use it) - it's supposed to have a popup dictionary entry for the clipboard, but it doesn't really work effectively. (not to mention lacking a thousand features pleco has, in the end, Antek is just a multi-language dictionary, Pleco is so much more for Chinese learners:)

EDIT: See the Pleco icon in my notification bar?

Yeah, I see it now. Not much use for me. With Widgetsoid, I can launch any number of apps from the notifications. But if I don't use my phone's built-in task switcher, I just hit the home button and then the Pleco icon. That's two touches, just like putting it in the notifications, so I don't see the benefit of putting in notifications. And this ordinary method can be done one-handed.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Supaiku said:
2. [Cosmetic] In the OCR popup box, the dictionary select button flashes orange when you change the dictionary (but is correctly sized!, at least, it's a box around the letters only isn't too large - but it isn't beveled and set to fill the whole corner portion of the bar - I dunno what might look best), even if the theme colors indicate a different color. No screen shot attached, similar to #1 here, but in the OCR, and the problem is only the color, not the size.

4. [Cosmetic] The Dictionary window's entry buttons (Defn, 字info, stroke, chars, words) buttons show orange, and flash light orange despite color settings.

These are actually surprisingly tricky to fix - a lot of those button effects are done through image files rather than fixed color values, so we'd have to heavily rewrite the code surrounding them to make them reflect the theme. Possible eventually, but probably not for our initial release.

Supaiku said:
1. [Cosmetic] In the dictionary popup box the dictionary select button still presents an over-sized orange box (that's orange, even if the color theme settings are set to some other color - say... blue - I like the theme colors! So fast! - or had that been there all along?). I imagine it should be sized more like the in the OCR popup box. See attached image.

3. [Cosmetic] The Reader dictionary popup bubble's dictionary select button is also mis-colored and oddly shaped. :)

That one's been mentioned before - it has to do with how we expand the button's tappable area to make it easy to hit, though hopefully we can fix this eventually too.

Supaiku said:
5. [Feature Request][Functional]Can you put some arrows in the OCR popup box too? Right now you have to manually select the next character, which requires some extra movement - "next" and "previous" arrows in the OCR popup box might be nice to keep from having to use those fine motor controls while ALSO trying to hold the device steady:p (I like the change to make it more stable, I had adjusted the settings up a little to make auto-pause more functional).

Maybe when paused, at least as an option - would be particularly useful when dealing with large blocks of text in still image mode.

Supaiku said:
6. [Feature Request][Cosmetic] Everything looks so much better, I love the recent changes. (The mis-aligned text when device is inverted in OCR mode is all fixed up:) The only thing is, the bar at the top of the dictionary page sorta looks like an iOS program... it doesn't have the same look as a lot of android programs. Perhaps I'm just bias :p Just a thought :wink:

The problem is that the look of a lot of Android programs is going to change radically in the next 2 years thanks to the new Holo theme - once 4.0+ becomes the dominant OS we can just adopt that, but in the meantime we need something that's fairly clean and simple so that it'll look good with both major UI themes; the more traditional, silvery Android toolbars actually don't look very good with Holo because they're so shiny and round and it's so flat.

Supaiku said:
7. [Further Sprucing up] [Cosmetic] Also, there could be a little work done to spruce up the camera settings bar in OCR mode (as a note, I actually like the look of the focus, pause etc buttons - just the white lines around them somehow makes them look a bit nicer...), and even the non-popup bubble menu items in the reader could potentially be spruced up.

Another Holo-friendly thing - tactile buttons seem to be on the way out in ICS, if anything those bottom buttons ought to lose the white lines to look more ICS-y.

Supaiku said:
Oh! the notification bar setting is nice! :)

Thanks!

JimmyTheSaint said:
Swype, which is built in to touchwiz on my Galaxy Note.

OK, we'll do some testing with that.

JimmyTheSaint said:
Yeah, I see it now. Not much use for me. With Widgetsoid, I can launch any number of apps from the notifications. But if I don't use my phone's built-in task switcher, I just hit the home button and then the Pleco icon. That's two touches, just like putting it in the notifications, so I don't see the benefit of putting in notifications. And this ordinary method can be done one-handed.

Quite right, but a lot of people either a) don't want to deal with a separate app-launching utility or b) don't know how, so we offer a simpler one to give them some of the same functionality. (much like how we offer a fullscreen handwriting recognizer even though there are several fullscreen handwriting IMEs available for free in Android Market)

benzhen

进士
i have two not so much bugs but more requests:

i would love for the d-pad up/down to work like the volume button scroll. now its more of a half-screen scroll and not so useful (i think thats the android default?).

also this has been an issue since either beta 2 or 3 but the reader has a blank column on the right where another character could fit. in the earliest beta it was perfectly flush with the border which looked great, now there is a rather large margin. im on an Artix with a qhd screen with 32 font. sometimes if there is english or punctuation on a line the characters will manage to go all the way to the end.

anyway just two small requests. everything else is working great with the reader now. especially with the shortcut from the home screen and volume scroll!

thanks

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
burdenofhope said:
What still irritates me (not just limited to this beta) is when I am in the result screen (http://dl.dropbox.com/u/38537672/2.jpg) and want to get back to the search screen (http://dl.dropbox.com/u/38537672/1.jpg) by hitting the backarrow, the program closes. It's not much of a problem, but I would prefer to be able to get back to the search screen this way.

Interesting that you look at them that way... it would be kind of a violation of Android convention to open the keyboard on a back button press, but I guess we could add an option for that since I imagine a lot of people's mental processes work similarly.

benzhen said:
i would love for the d-pad up/down to work like the volume button scroll. now its more of a half-screen scroll and not so useful (i think thats the android default?).

Quite right, no sense in having them work differently.

benzhen said:
also this has been an issue since either beta 2 or 3 but the reader has a blank column on the right where another character could fit. in the earliest beta it was perfectly flush with the border which looked great, now there is a rather large margin. im on an Artix with a qhd screen with 32 font. sometimes if there is english or punctuation on a line the characters will manage to go all the way to the end.

That's tricky for us to consistently fix since not every phone has the same screen width; have you tried raising the font size from 27 to 28 (or lowering it to 26) in Settings / Reader?

This not really a bug just more of a request. I've enabled the full-text search for English terms in Chinese dictionaries in the settings (great function btw), but I still would like to search the English-Chinese dictionaries first. For example, when I search for "bring" the first dictionary that pops up is ABC with the result being "安".

Another problem I sometimes have after using Pleco for quite a while is that it just stops looking for my search terms, see here: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/38537672/3.jpg.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
burdenofhope said:
This not really a bug just more of a request. I've enabled the full-text search for English terms in Chinese dictionaries in the settings (great function btw), but I still would like to search the English-Chinese dictionaries first. For example, when I search for "bring" the first dictionary that pops up is ABC with the result being "安".

That actually should already be happening - we'll investigate why it isn't, thanks.

burdenofhope said:
Another problem I sometimes have after using Pleco for quite a while is that it just stops looking for my search terms, see here: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/38537672/3.jpg.

That's a new one - could you expand on "for a while"? How long are you generally using it? Can you think of any particular action (switching dictionaries, say) that usually seems to trigger it? What do you need to do to get it working again? (is it enough to just leave / re-enter the search screen, or put Pleco in the background and reopen it, or do you actually need to kill it in Settings / Applications)

Alexis

状元
I installed the Radical Dictionary (http://china.panlogicsoftware.com/_media/radical_dict.pqb), which works fine, minus a few characters that show up as boxes.

However, the "upgrade database" button always shows. I have clicked it a few times, including restarting Pleco. For my other custom dictionaries, the "upgrade database" button does not show up.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Alexis said:
I installed the Radical Dictionary (http://china.panlogicsoftware.com/_media/radical_dict.pqb), which works fine, minus a few characters that show up as boxes.

However, the "upgrade database" button always shows. I have clicked it a few times, including restarting Pleco. For my other custom dictionaries, the "upgrade database" button does not show up.

You have to "Unlock" it first - sorry about that, we'll add an appropriate error message.

mikelove said:
burdenofhope said:

That's a new one - could you expand on "for a while"? How long are you generally using it? Can you think of any particular action (switching dictionaries, say) that usually seems to trigger it? What do you need to do to get it working again? (is it enough to just leave / re-enter the search screen, or put Pleco in the background and reopen it, or do you actually need to kill it in Settings / Applications)
That is the problem, it happens pretty randomly. Sometimes I might use Pleco for half an hour and nothing happens and sometimes it happens after a couple of minutes. But I'll try to monitor it and get back to you when it happens again. And yes, it is enough just to tap the home button and re-open Pleco to get it working again.

Another thing I noticed is a problem with the popup definitions. When I am in the result screen, tap on a Chinese character for a definition and then go back the search screen via the Android search button, the popup screen remains: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/38537672/4.jpg On a different note, the Android search button seems to work like a back button. When I am in the definition screen and press the search button to search for a new word, I'll only get back to the result screen and not all the way to the search screen.

The next one is harder to explain in words, I'll start off with a screenshot: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/38537672/5.jpg I'd prefer the upper dictionary to switch as well when I change the lower one, to avoid confusion. Furthermore, when I am in portrait orientation, switch to landscape orientation the dictionary entry always changes to the "upper" dictionary instead of staying with the one I chose below. Don't know if this is intended, just wanted to mention it.

Otherwise I'll just want to say the more I use it the more I like it, thanks for the effort you put in. :)

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
burdenofhope said:
That is the problem, it happens pretty randomly. Sometimes I might use Pleco for half an hour and nothing happens and sometimes it happens after a couple of minutes. But I'll try to monitor it and get back to you when it happens again. And yes, it is enough just to tap the home button and re-open Pleco to get it working again.

OK, thanks. Good to know that the home button fixes it at least.

burdenofhope said:
Another thing I noticed is a problem with the popup definitions. When I am in the result screen, tap on a Chinese character for a definition and then go back the search screen via the Android search button, the popup screen remains: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/38537672/4.jpg On a different note, the Android search button seems to work like a back button. When I am in the definition screen and press the search button to search for a new word, I'll only get back to the result screen and not all the way to the search screen.

Good catches on both counts, thanks.

burdenofhope said:
The next one is harder to explain in words, I'll start off with a screenshot: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/38537672/5.jpg I'd prefer the upper dictionary to switch as well when I change the lower one, to avoid confusion. Furthermore, when I am in portrait orientation, switch to landscape orientation the dictionary entry always changes to the "upper" dictionary instead of staying with the one I chose below. Don't know if this is intended, just wanted to mention it.

That's actually quite intentional; the idea is that the "lower" dictionary switch button lets you see different dictionaries' take on the same word without having to leave your current search results. So if you generally are happy with one dictionary but you'd occasionally like to consult a different one for more explanations / examples / etc, this is an easy way to do that. (works especially well with our Merged Multi-Dictionary Search feature) The reset when you change orientations has to do with the fact that it's possible to have an embedded definition in one orientation but not in the other - would be tricky enough to work around (and have enough potential to introduce new bugs) that we can't make doing so a priority for the first release.

burdenofhope said:
Otherwise I'll just want to say the more I use it the more I like it, thanks for the effort you put in. :)

Thanks!