Pleco for Blackberry 10

PReinisch

I want to start with how much I like your software! It´s one of my top 10 apps on my tablet! I really love it! :)

Unfortunately I can not run it on my (business) blackberry. So at the moment I´m tempted to buy a (cheap) android phone to have my flashcards with me while on the road.
Another option for me is convince my boss to get a new BB running BB 10. (Unfortunately iPhone is no option)
So one question concerning Pleco for Blackberry: I have read that there were no plans for a BB version. But BB 10 claims to have a straight-forward Android conversion kit.
Do you think there will be a BB 10 version of Pleco (anytime soon)?
I volunteer as a beta tester if necessary! :wink:

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
PReinisch said:
So one question concerning Pleco for Blackberry: I have read that there were no plans for a BB version. But BB 10 claims to have a straight-forward Android conversion kit.
Do you think there will be a BB 10 version of Pleco (anytime soon)?

Not right away - the Android conversion kit doesn't support NDK apps like ours, so unless / until they change that (seems possible, but they haven't actually done it yet) it would be quite challenging to port to BB10.

In general, we're waiting to see how what's likely to be a fairly pitched battle between BB10 and Windows Phone 8 sorts itself out over the next year or two before deciding what to do about them - it seems highly doubtful that they'll both succeed, and it may be that neither one of them does, but in any case it's far too soon to tell.

Most of the BB users I know have never owned anything but a BB. I had a BB (forced through my company) and going from something that works superbly (Android via Galaxy), to a child's toy, was beyond frustrating. My company has seen the light and now supports Android/iPhone. I used to have to carry two phones.
The BB ship has already sunk, best thing to do is get a phone with apps. Yes, with apps. BB doesn't have any, or very few, and so what is a BB good for if no one is making apps for it? Well, have you got a uneven table or fridge?

adamlau

探花
Pleco 2.4.14 runs well within the 4.2.2 Jelly Bean runtime environment as part of OS 10.2, though I have yet to test audio pronunciations, or OCR (not purchased) features. See the following CrackBerry thread: http://forums.crackberry.com/bb10-android-app-sideloading-f279/pleco-software-working-q10-857941/ . The current APK repackages well, but not without a number of compatibility warnings. Converted BAR runs stable and smooth with the 10.2.0.131 runtime from 10.2.0.1791 (unsigned BAR with debug token) as well as with the unlocked 10.2.1.13 runtime from 10.2.1.641 (signed BAR).

Pleco also appears to run well with the Android 2.3 Gingerbread runtime as part of OS 10.1 as confirmed by another user here: http://forums.crackberry.com/blackb...co-android-app-running-blackberry-z10-834673/

01.png 02.png 03.png 05.png 06.png 07.png 11.png 12.png 14.png

Attachments

• 13.png
    13.png
    64.5 KB · Views: 619
Last edited:

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Honestly, if we package it officially for BlackBerry then we're also stuck testing on / supporting it in the future, which isn't something we really want to do - we're already somewhat regretting the decision to do that for Amazon, and their version of Android is considerably closer to Google's than BlackBerry's is. Not to mention that we then have to get a BlackBerry / learn how to deal with BlackBerry-specific tech support questions / etc.

EFats

Hey, yes, I know Blackberry 10 is not supported. Maybe even Pleco is a bit hostile towards it.
But today, as of March 2017, the latest version of Pleco appears to work just fine on a stock Blackberry 10.3.3 (Z10). I really don't notice any glitches and audio output works too. I do not even have Google Play installed.
It really is a nice package so I may even pony up the cash for the extra bundles. If I do so, I will report back whether the OCR works.

I don't mind so much that it is not supported, completely understandable, as long as you don't go out of your way to deliberately detect and disable it on a Blackberry.

No, not expecting much response but just leaving info for any other Blackberry users that may be wanting to give it a try.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Thanks - we certainly don't object to people using it on BlackBerry if it works, it's just that, as with running Pleco in Android emulators on desktops, this isn't something we want to be in the position of providing tech support for or of promising to fix if things stop working.

EFats

Just tried the demo OCR feature. On the good side, there seems to be no issue with running it on Blackberry. Everything works very smoothly, camera works, it's all good. The actual OCR is a bit hit and miss, but oh well.
I will buy the bundle anyways, it seems to be nicely made software and very useful to me. Just a few of those features will add up to the bundle price anyways

Anybody running on an unsupported platform demanding support is just asking for a kick in the arse.
I would only make 2 requests:
  • Please don't deliberately identify the platform and automatically disable it.
  • Make older versions available, but unsupported, for (registered) users if they want. Maybe not infinite older versions, but the last one of each major version or something like that. Afterall, some people run older Android phones too.
Thanks for making a nice app!

adamlau

探花
Confirming that Pleco 3.2.57 works just fine on a BlackBerry Passport running 10.3.3. Obviously, the UI is not as responsive as that of a more modern device running iOS 11.2.2 or Oreo, but it is absolutely usable and capable nonetheless. Everything works as expected, including OCR and audio as previously mentioned.