Pleco Reader Translation Crash

nborst

The document reader seems to crash almost every time I highlight text and use the translation function.

Does anyone else get this error?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
nborst said:
The document reader seems to crash almost every time I highlight text and use the translation function.

That's happening because Google recently cut off the ability for third-party apps to use their translation service without paying them per translation - we're probably going to remove Google Translate support altogether in our next update, but in the meantime, if you set "Translation Source" in Settings / General to Bing instead of Google, that should fix the crashes.

yoose

探花
mike, i just tried it with changing it to Bing and it will still crash after the translation. the translation will come up but regardless of whether i press copy or done it will crash right after. I tried it on several documents (used my flashcard documents).

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
yoose said:
mike, i just tried it with changing it to Bing and it will still crash after the translation. the translation will come up but regardless of whether i press copy or done it will crash right after. I tried it on several documents (used my flashcard documents).

Well that's an odd one... we really thought it was tied to Google, most of the people we've recommended the Bing fix to have said that it fixes the problem. Anyway we'll keep checking and hopefully get it fixed soon, thanks.

mikelove said:
nborst said:

That's happening because Google recently cut off the ability for third-party apps to use their translation service without paying them per translation - we're probably going to remove Google Translate support altogether in our next update, but in the meantime, if you set "Translation Source" in Settings / General to Bing instead of Google, that should fix the crashes.

When did they do that? They're really trying to fend off 3rd party outlets, aren't they? :(

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
LinuxKitteh said:
When did they do that? They're really trying to fend off 3rd party outlets, aren't they? :(

They announced it a few months ago. The official reason given was that because Google Translate relies on automated analysis of online texts to generate its translation matrix, having too many other websites serving up Google Translated text was screwing up their system - an incorrect translation from Google Translate would show up in so many other places that the system would think it was a common / accurate one.