PlecoDict 2.0 and WM 6.1 Compatibility?

thph2006

进士
It seems likely that many new phones will be running Windows Mobile 6.1 at or around the time PlecoDict 2.0 ships. Will 2.0 be compatible with 6.1?

Thanks, Tom

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Should be, in fact thanks to the new patch 1.0 should be compatible as well. We've only been able to test on an unofficial hacked-to-use-6.1 HTC Touch so far but they both seem to work correctly on that at least. Thanks to the way 2.0 is architected it should be almost impossible for any Windows Mobile update to cause compatibility issues unless they do something really radical like disabling all native software development (which it's highly unlikely they'd do given that WM's biggest selling point is easy porting between it and desktop Windows).

ipsi

状元
Actually, I could see Microsoft doing that at some point, and requiring everyone to use .Net instead. That would give you issues. And would make it just as easy to port I suspect (not that I've used .net for handheld devices before).

Hopefully they'd give developers some warning. And it won't happen for a few years if it does at all.

I could also see MS deciding that they won't allow non-.net executables to run on desktop Windows as well...

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
I wrote them about this recently, actually, and it seems that they're not likely to make a change like that anytime soon. And honestly in a few years there'll be no need for it since you'll be able to run even native applications inside of a protected virtual environment - this is already routine on servers thanks to VMWare, you run each server inside of its own virtual machine and there's no way it can compromise the rest of the system. Since most new desktop processors now include Intel's IVT instructions (which make virtualization fast and easy) it shouldn't be long before we start to see this approach used on desktop software too - I wouldn't be surprised if Windows 7 added it as an option - and eventually it could even apply to mobiles; I'm sure ARM already has somebody working on this, they have a vested interest in encouraging native development since if everybody starts writing in Java there's less of a reason for phone makers to keep using ARM chips.

Shadowdh

状元
While I am not as technologically proficient as Mike or Ipsi I have been running a ROM based on a release of WM6.1 for the last few days (on my MDA Vario III/HTC TyTN II) and so far its had not issues apart from the bugs that are noted in Pleco 2. That new fix for Pleco 1 is great thanks Mike...