Poll: Flashcard Database Size

How large is your Pleco flashcard database? (\\My Documents\Pleco Flashcards.pqb)

• 0-2 MB

Votes: 6 40.0%
  • 2-4 MB

Votes: 7 46.7%
  • 4-6 MB

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • 6-8 MB

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 8-10 MB

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • 10+ MB

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
We're considering the possibility of offering a Pleco-hosted online backup service for flashcard databases, and we're trying to get a rough sense of how much this might cost, so I'm doing a quick poll to get some more info on the subject. Your flashcard database is located at \\My Documents\Pleco Flashcards.pqb on Windows Mobile or as "PlecoFlash.pqb" in the hidden internal drive on Palm OS (tough to find, unfortunately).

If we've set these numbers too low and your database is actually bigger than 10 MB, please post the exact figure here so we can add some extra poll questions. (upper limits are important too here - need to know if we should set one and how big)

Thanks!

jphoward

What would be much better than an Pleco-hosted backup, would be the ability to sync with Anki's online service! :) (This may require having the Anki deck support some specific set of model fields - but that wouldn't be a big deal).

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Anki Online seems to still be pretty early in development at the moment - no support for their "models" feature yet as far as I can tell, without which creating even minimally Pleco-friendly Chinese flashcards would be difficult. Anyway, for the amount of effort it would take to develop / maintain a real Anki sync capability (which would require not only the actual sync connection but precisely mimicking / tracking the necessary fields for their statistics / repetition-spacing system too) we'd probably be just as well off developing our own online flashcard system.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Sure, I think we'd include them too - they're just a much less heavily-used feature, so they don't have to factor in as much in our storage space calculations.

MALAILI

进士
Please excuse my ignorance, but where is it I find the location \\My Documents\Pleco Flashcards.pqb on my PDA? (I don't have internet capability and I am still using Pleco 1.0)

However, I have a HUGEdata base with over 400 individual files, but I don't have any idea how big a data base that would represent. I am sure there are more than 12,000 entries.

MALAILI

进士
Believe it or not, I went through my lists and there are only about 9,300 entries. However, I don't know how that equates to MB.

My smallest list contained only 1 entry and my largest list contained more than 700 entries. (I actually have several untitled and empty lists as well.)

I hope this is of some value to you.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Thanks - version 1.0 databases are pretty tiny, actually, so there's no way your database is over 1 MB or so with only 9300 cards.

mfcb

状元
哇, looks like i have to import some more flashcards, as somebody topped my 4.2 MB highscore :wink: