PPC with WVGA display

Eggwind

举人
I recently got a Toshiba X01T with a WVGA display (800x480) and have tested PlecoDict with it. PlecoDict 1 is pretty slow, but I'm used to it from my last phone (Blue Angel), and has no display bugs at all. PlecoDict 2b3a is fast, but has some minor issues (in addition to the crashing):

It apparently doesn't know what to do with the extra space in landscape mode, so the zoom button is replicated 5 times.

Many (but oddly not all) characters with third-tone circumflexes are shown in bold.

Screenshot:
Plecobeta%20WVGA.png

Those are the only bugs, but there are some features I would like to see as well. I feel a lot of space is wasted in landscape mode; it would be nice with a full-screen mode that hides the menu and title bars. Perhaps it would also be enough with one toolbar instead of a cmd bar and search bar. I'm also surprised that I can't find an option for changing the layout when switching between landscape and portrait mode - in portrait mode I want the search list and software keyboard on the bottom, and in landscape mode I want the search list on the right side and the software keyboard off. As it is now, when I have it in portrait mode and in the described layout and change to landscape mode, it all gets completely messed up and I have to go into preferences and turn off the input panel.

Another thing: the software keyboard doesn't have a backspace key. There's space for one, so I don't see why it doesn't exist.

None of the preferences under search mode layout/navigation/cmd bar/search bar work, but I guess these just haven't been implemented yet.

My keyboard has a hardware ctrl key, so it would be awesome to be able to bind advanced features such as adding flashcards to a shortcut.

johnh113

榜眼
Dear Eggwind,

Did you go into preferences and select what icons to use? It's possible that your preferences are selecting the zoom button five times rather than other icons.

John

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Thanks for the feedback. That duplicated button problem is actually an issue on regular landscape displays too right now. I'm not sure about those bold characters - looks like the regular bold Tahoma font file might not have loaded correctly but the Pleco pinyin fill-in font did; if you open up Word Mobile, set its font to Tahoma and style to bold, do characters you type appear correctly bolded?

Good point about fullscreen display, though it would be tough to get rid of the menu bar since there's a lot of functionality that can only be accessed through there - might be able to hide the title bar at least. A one-line toolbar might be possible, we're actually still working on cleaning up that particular part of the Pocket PC UI (as you can see it looks pretty terrible right now) - same goes for variable portrait versus landscape layouts, we're actually building that on the code from the old View versus Search mode option (now disabled) since it's pretty much the same thing but with a different trigger. The software keyboard actually does have a backspace key, the icon is just blank at the moment and there are a few places where it isn't working yet.