Question about pronunciation area

CharonM72

秀才
I know that the pronunciation line is configurable to use pinyin with numbers or tones, zhuyin, or nothing; would it be possible to add more options there? I'm sure this has been asked before. I know a lot of things are in the character info tab, but that's a. not searchable and b. inconvenient.
I'd imagine the primary issue there would be creating search algorithms for the various different pronunciation systems. If it were possible though, I'd love to see some Cantonese, or Hokkien, or Hakka pronunciations in there. Then I feel like Pleco would really be the universal go-to dictionary for all Chinese languages (presuming, of course, new dictionaries were added to cover special meanings of certain words in other languages, which is a whole other issue.)
Even if it were unfeasible to search various pronunciation systems, what about adding the option for them and just making them not searchable? Then we could at least search via the definition or the character.
Lastly, what about supporting multiple systems at the same time? The Pleco dictionary already basically does this with Jyutping anyway. But instead of limiting it to one dictionary, would there be technical limitations to extending it to all of them? The only issue I could see there is if a character has more than one pronunciation.
Sorry for the long post but I've been wondering these things for a while.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
We already support showing multiple pronunciations at the same time on iOS and plan to do that soon on Android as well. (we've also made Cantonese searchable that way now) As far as supporting other systems, it's mostly just a matter of obtaining useful data for them - finding it and putting in the editorial work to get it linked to everything else; I'm not sure whether there are enough people interested in Hokkien to justify supporting that, honestly.

LantauMan

进士
Mike forgot to mention that the PLC definitions already have the option to display Cantonese pronunciation simultaneously below the pinyin. Search the character or English definition, toggle to the PLC entry, and you can have both (once you locate that option among the labyrinth of settings).

Ye Kaiwen

秀才
We already support showing multiple pronunciations at the same time on iOS and plan to do that soon on Android as well. (we've also made Cantonese searchable that way now) As far as supporting other systems, it's mostly just a matter of obtaining useful data for them - finding it and putting in the editorial work to get it linked to everything else; I'm not sure whether there are enough people interested in Hokkien to justify supporting that, honestly.

When it comes to Hokkien, contact me directly. I think I know how you can get free labor for that task. The biggest problem you would face for that though is which dialect to support. Books are written in Taiwanese Hokkien favoring the Taichong dialect, as well as the Taipei dialect.